Crap Drystone walling

Dean Lofthouse

Any chance of a pic of a really good wall to highlight the differences please?

I have no idea what most of the words in the posts above mean.

I have very very few pics since my PC died......here are a few hedges we did years ago, and a bit of facework- but the idea is the same. When i finish the job we are doing at the mo (its a long story, but i was quiet when i took it on) ill probably put up some pics to bore you with.:blushing:

18062007062.jpg.f2d0381baf09045eb1a194c21bc5a375.jpg

22092006129.jpg.3d04673450e71ce481885bfcb96697c4.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg.928d72ce6c2b3c97a6493fa014be263e.jpg

09052008090.jpg.b1050802a4ce64549f10db4f5c628c02.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only got one of one I started recently, did the wall on my drive but only the top half and have really got a photo, but it's in the background of the chipper pic from the top of the spare wheel up, which is a retaining wall. Some of the stones or throughs on the wall behind the chipper actually stick out four feet behind the wall into the ground as ties

142_4241.jpg.f3bbc00d36a348d9e7c5f0af25333349.jpg

145_4599.jpg.c40b167bf96471d9a9c686677772ab62.jpg

The fireplace was part of 10 months work and 700 tonnes of stone on that job. Back then we were charging 150 a day (6 years ago) and the whole job cost about 4 or 5 mill to build. i think our labour for the whole job was 134k.

The job we have been on recently (first stonework for 3 years) we are charging 175 per square metre of face, including sand and cement, but not the cut stone.

That is, as i have said before, stunning Dean, I LOVE that wall, and that stone, and if i am passing your way i will be bringing hammer and chisel mate!! Really really nice detail and tight joints, with everything level- what more could one ask for.:thumbup1::thumbup:

Wow man- i had forgotten that you had done that. Its brilliant. I reckon a busmans holiday is required for me, and you can give me some pointers.

We have mostly granite and slate down here, other than on the Lizard Peninsular, which has examples of every kind of rock there is, including serpentine!!