Crap Drystone walling

Dean Lofthouse

Did you carve that on a stone that was already there? Looks right good, was it hard to do?

Yes the stones were already cemented in, so just sat on a stools on a windy day and plodded on.

A woman walked past who's dad used to own my house and she burst into tears :blushing:

I was gobsmacked, when she eventually calmed down it turns out her dad had died and one of the things he always wanted was the name of the house carving in stone at the bottom of the drive :001_rolleyes:

With the right chisels it quite easy to do, it's just the chisels are mega bucks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the stones were already cemented in, so just sat on a stools on a windy day and plodded on.

A woman walked past who's dad used to own my house and she burst into tears :blushing:

I was gobsmacked, when she eventually calmed down it turns out her dad had died and one of the things he always wanted was the name of the house carving in stone at the bottom of the drive :001_rolleyes:

With the right chisels it quite easy to do, it's just the chisels are mega bucks

That is spot on Dean, and what a great story too. It's cool that what you've done will hopefully be there forever and that it touched someone so much too:thumbup1:

Found this on Youtube to give you an idea..........

All I willsay about it is he must be carving chalk :sneaky2: The stone I carved took me about 15 minutes per letter

Turn off the sound BTW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40VsGoMkvIw]YouTube - Hand Carving stone lettering[/ame]

I was somewhat disappointed the other day to learn that the Delabole Slate Quarry (very famous cornish quarry, deepest in europe or something yada yada...) uses a sand blasting machine to carve name plates!!! They still split roof slates by hand FFS!!!!!

Found this on Youtube to give you an idea..........

All I willsay about it is he must be carving chalk :sneaky2: The stone I carved took me about 15 minutes per letter

Turn off the sound BTW

I'd have said you've done well to do yours in 15mins each, it would have taken me a lot longer to carve them in wood!! It does look quite nice to do i must say, do you know what it is he's wiping and spraying on it? A wax or an oil or something?

This is the only carving I've done in stone, well, thermolite block, when I was doing a building job. Did it with a stanley knife whilst waiting for my plaster to go off inbetween flattens

photo.jpg.049e994ce55f1bd98c83293756f956c2.jpg

photo(2).jpg.6b360ae17b5bdb9bf60cfde236a1c28c.jpg

Very good !

The artistic flair is there :001_smile:

He might have been just wiping away or blowing away dust, on soft stuff you can wipe it after with silicone, same stuff as they use for damp proof course just to waterproof it

Cheers Dean:001_smile:

I wondered what it was he was doing. I used some bee's wax on the smooth bits on mine, you can't really tell in the pics but it did give it a bit of a shine.

I have very very few pics since my PC died......here are a few hedges we did years ago, and a bit of facework- but the idea is the same. When i finish the job we are doing at the mo (its a long story, but i was quiet when i took it on) ill probably put up some pics to bore you with.:blushing:

Thanks

That and deans look much more like the stone walling I would expect from someone good.

Are the aesthetic quality's of the wall important for it to be structurally sound? Or can a crap looking wall be just as strong?

Jonathan