Bricks posts, fence and gates

ukminch

Job just finshed today. Customer wasnted some privacy in the front garden as it gets the sun.

Built up the existing pillars to approximately 6 foot and added 2 more along the wall. Fencing fixed to these and added along the length of both sides. Then front gates with a letterbox and mortice lock.

Quite pleased with the result, it's needed to much thinking:confused1: and changes for my liking!!

11052010.jpg.dcc051109f88539710eeed9f35ade747.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the positive comments boys. I'm actually finding domestic work much more rewarding that the commercial side I've come from.

Actual working time quite quick, all the faffing about quite a long time.

Brick pillars were a day to do, then a an hour or so to add the extra course the customer decided they wanted. Fencing about a day to fix in place. Then not far off a day to fit the gates, including fixing letterbox inside, slot outside, mortice lock etc.

Probably another day in faffyness, 3 different types of bricks to be matched as near as I could, sourced from 2 different builders merchants in the end. Ordering and picking up fence panels, the post supports and bolts from another place etc, finding the 'right' letterbox for the inside of the gate. Oh and a quick trim side only of the conifers.

I'd built in the faffyness as I realised that it would be there when I quoted, a mistake that I would have made in the past on jobs like these.

I think I work out quite expensive most of the time, but I think I am realistic about how long things take. A trip to the suppliers can take 2 hours by the time you've secured everything, got in van, got what you want, queued at the counter, got caught in traffic, unpacked and looked at where your up to etc.

Accordingly I'd prefer to lose a job or two on price and not work a couple of days, than work 2 days to make up for 1 days mistake.

R

I don't mind those type of jobs at all. I just explain it's £25 an hour from when I arrive until when I leave when the jobs finished. Ie they pay for me going to get a post or panel, repair spike whatever.

I find people can be a bit reluctant to start with until they realise how much I get done in that time, and how much goes into little jobs. The others that want it stupidly cheap can have bill and ben the fencing men in!!