Working horses thread

plippy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plippy, if she could read you'd get a good kicking if she ever met you, she hates being called a shire :biggrin: She is an Ardennes.

No, the noise dos'nt bother them at all, they are used to chainsaws anyway, in fact she anticipates by the note of the engine, if I lower the revs, she knows we are probably going to move on, and she will start to move forward, I will always check her as it is a bad habit to get into, (moving before you give the command). She will take a little bit of notice if I slew towards her to quickly, although the grab is blocked from going 360 degrees so it would not hit her, but if a log was in the grapple it could. Occasionally I forget to set the stabilisers, and the forwarder tips over 45 degrees or untill the boom hits the floor, she looks around at me as if to say, " you amateur" :001_rolleyes:

Plippy, if she could read you'd get a good kicking if she ever met you, she hates being called a shire :biggrin: She is an Ardennes.

No, the noise dos'nt bother them at all, they are used to chainsaws anyway, in fact she anticipates by the note of the engine, if I lower the revs, she knows we are probably going to move on, and she will start to move forward, I will always check her as it is a bad habit to get into, (moving before you give the command). She will take a little bit of notice if I slew towards her to quickly, although the grab is blocked from going 360 degrees so it would not hit her, but if a log was in the grapple it could. Occasionally I forget to set the stabilisers, and the forwarder tips over 45 degrees or untill the boom hits the floor, she looks around at me as if to say, " you amateur" :001_rolleyes:

ooops, sorry fella:blushing:

Two questions -

How many Horsepower can she generate? (and I'm not taking the psi).

And do you know Danny McNeil? (Kielder etc.)

Cracking looking horse, mate.

Marc, I have heard of him, but not met him, but would very much like to, as I know he is highly thought of by my mentor, Simon Lenihan.

Now, I am told that horsepower was not a way of describing output by the strength of the horses but as follows; when steam engines were first introduced to farming operations for threshing etc, they were usually pulled from farm to farm by horses. The bigger the engine the more horses it took to pull it, so a farmer who wanted a engine to do his threshing could ascertain the size and output of the engine by how many horses he had to send to collect it from the farm where it was currently in use, 4,6,8 horsepower. So by that reckoning my horse is 1 HP