Two Tier Industry?

Amelanchier

So, is the AA's technicain membership grade a step in the right direction towards filling a gap? Offering a technical post nominal - Tech.Arbor.A?

Will it encourage more guys on the tools to join up to a professional organisation?

For me personally....no, and as a public relation exercise most people I work for couldn't care less whether you have a few letters after your name. Having said that I'm a member of the ISA and AA anyway. I like them both for different reasons.

As for the consultants Vs practising arborists, consultants that want to be taken seriously should've come from a practical general treework background. They should also know their limitations when it comes to writing reports and should not get involved in writing method statements for contractors. If there is something specific being recommended they should arrange an on-site visit with the contractor or his crew.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They also generally think the worst of us guys on the tools, probably because most guys (I'm sure any gals are better respected) on the tools, do know very little about tree biology.

I do think whatever job we do whether it be line clearance or Tree surgery, we should take time out to learn Tree Biology.

It's no good us knowing how to do a pruning cut to BS3998 if we don't know why it is done.

A lot of Tree owners are very knowledgable and have taken time out to read up on their trees. When they call us in to tend to their trees, the least we can do is understand what it is we are doing to their tree.

There would be nothing worse IMO than the customer knowing more than me. :icon14:

They also generally think the worst of us guys on the tools, probably because most guys (I'm sure any gals are better respected) on the tools, do know very little about tree biology.

Actually they're not. The last few Tree Officers that I've had dealings with showed a very condescending attitude and knew very little about the methods we were using. Or the law pertaining to the site for that matter

I do think whatever job we do whether it be line clearance or Tree surgery, we should take time out to learn Tree Biology.

It's no good us knowing how to do a pruning cut to BS3998 if we don't know why it is done.

A lot of Tree owners are very knowledgable and have taken time out to read up on their trees. When they call us in to tend to their trees, the least we can do is understand what it is we are doing to their tree.

There would be nothing worse IMO than the customer knowing more than me. :icon14:

Absolutely right! But, learning about the biology of trees is part of what we do, the minority who are simply not bothered to educate themselves will never advance much beyond the lowest order as they will never be able to sell themselves or their skills.

I doubt the first tree surgeons really knew what they were doing by todays standards...working best practice has and will continue to evolve...not that I seek to denegrate the achievements of our pioneering brothers in any way

We are graded throughout life, from the moment we are in school. There is much argument as to the degree with which we should be scrutinised at the various ages but there is little or no point whinging about the idea of assessing students IMO.

Bodies such as the ISA and AA are there to provide a focus and a standard by which professionals can operate. A way of providing support and know how to those interested in arboriculture from entry level to the most experienced. If the AA and the ISA were to become an affiliated , even merged organisation, this would further erode the divisions within the industry, presenting an image of harmony and agreement. I am in favour of assessment at all levels within industry.