A couple questions for the kiwis,

LSD

Thinking of jacking my job pretty soon and heading to NZ ,

was wondering if my NPTC tickets will be recognized down there.. and If not what will I need to start working legally,

Also what’s the price difference like on climbing equipment/PPE some of my gear is looking a bit tired and trying to work out if it’s worth buying new stuff over hear and shipping it over, or wait until I get there?:confused1:

Cheers LSD

I would think some of your gear would be worth getting in the UK but anything made locally will be cheaper. Ropes for example. I am sure there will be guys who have brought gear in both NZ and the UK that could point you in the right direction.

NPTC certs are recognised in NZ, They can be transfered to NZ tickets, but most people don't bother as it costs some $ and there's no gain to you.

The official org for transferring your NPTCs is -

NZ Hort Industry, training organisation (inc) [email protected]

Telephone (03)4557550

Theres not the same range of gear in NZ as in the UK. Chainsaw pants are basic over there I'd def take yer stretch airs and favourite boots, but the english NZ residents will fill you in better than me on this one.

Levin Saw Makers do arb gear in N.island . I don't know if they have a website. They have a full range of spikes, crabs etc, all basic gear. Don't know about harness' range available.

Worth doing the research before you go. Some firms provide basic and tatty gear and communal climbing ropes etc, so if you line up a job its worth having the gear your'e used to as a back up.

edit: if you emigrate you get a 40k baggage allowance on most airlines so you can take it with you

Edited by Albedo

I import nearly all my gear fron the US and UK. Even with the postage I can get cheaper deals plus most of the gear (chainsaw pants, boots etc) is of better quality. Most companies are happy to take you on with UK quals and some of the bigger firms have their own inhouse training whereby you can cross credit your UK quals with NZ quals through NZHITO. Some UK quals aren't recognized such as the older city and guilds stuff but it shouldn't stop you getting a job. Most firms will just want to make sure you can walk the walk as well as talk the talk. I'd bring over your harness, boots, trousers and similar if they're in good condition.

The only thing I wouldn't bring is your Rope.

It will cut into your baggage allowance,just make sure everything you bring is spotless.I nearly got done in December for bringing boots in.I hadn't worn them on a farm or Forest but they still got the hump with me and threatend to fine me $1500.

I found that nptc's meaning nothing here,Pick up a chainsaw and go to work (just my experince)

As said above buy your gear from the uk (ie boots/trousers) as there very expensive here.

Best do your research before you come.

from my experience they also checked my boots and gear for saw dust so do a really good job on cleaning ur kit i had the pads off my harness and was hoovering it to get it clean, personally when i travel i wear my chainsaw pants and boots on the plane, have a bag of books and computer and camera as they cant weight that and then a big bag in the reqs for the cabin you will be able to get most of your baggage in there then ur climbing kit in the hold, climbing kit i carried to and from aus was a 60m line 80m access line harness helmet a bag of tricks and throwcubes and then a bag of extra bits like wash bag and all that.

another tip is dont take socks and undies with you they cost sod all and u always wear em out so just take a few pairs then buy more when u get there same with towel.

i dont want to offend any ozzies or kiwis here and hope i dont but the money isnt any better than the uk or though it is all case dependant i wasnt earning much to start coz i wasnt use to doing them huge trees, i would manage 2-3 40-50m trees a day and when i left i was doing 8-9 so was worth more but like i said it is all case dependant.

the one thing they wont mind me saying is that the life style and the work is fantastic and is like sod all else in the uk, doesnt matter how good you have it in the uk those places are not overly populated and have nice areas and untouched beauties where as in the uk they just put a big ol fence up.

if your young like the outdoors and have no ties i ask the question why the hell your in the uk anyways working? if you can do bro.

Thanks for all the advice guys and for helping me make up my mind,

Need to some new boots, hard hat. (Maybe harness), anyway, Know first hand how funny customs can be over a bit of mud down there, even when it comes from there own country

Good Idea about wearing your stuff on the the plane, I’ll have to whip it off pretty fast if I stopover in Thailand though,

As for not doing it a long time ago, know exactly what you mean, been travelling quite a few times before , unfortunately after 5years back in the uk , I’ve become a creature of habit again, got used to having my friends around me, my pad, furniture 42’ plasma exc.. plus the uk’s not all bad, infact been pretty dam nice this week,

I always get a bit apprehensive before stepping into the unknown, but at least this time I’m going somewhere they speak the same language (well almost) .

and like you say as soon as I get there, I’ll think what the f..was I ever worried about.

Edited by LSD

dead set mate, im pretty lucky im not bothered about having people around me and not to fased about having a decent place to live so i just live with mates when i want a week off or im inhotels or staying with employers. i just enjoy seeing different stuff and working different places. mind you im still young and dont give a toss so its ideal, great way of saving money too, just spend ages in airports. good luck though i hope it works for ya!