CS30/31 tomorrow!!

MaxJ

All,

I have my CS30/31 assessment tomorrow, fairly confident but was wondering if anyone had any final advice for me?!

Cheers

Max

Its as easy as they can possibly make it. As with most NPTC quals you tend to find you have to do something pretty daft to fail. Even then they seem to be pretty relaxed about giving second chances to show you have the required competancy. I have always been surprised about how poor you can be and still pass. I've been on courses with people who shouldn't be allowed near a saw, and have passed.

Suppose what i'm trying to say is dont worry mate. It will be fine. The advice about relaxing is good too.

Never hurts to brush up on simple names and terms (such as drive link, throttle interlatch, type C trouser, class 2 boots, etc, etc, etc.)

Its simple jargon, but its saves loads when trying to discribe stuff.

You will probably pass if you forget every name/term there is, but the assessment will feel like pulling teeth for both you and the assessor.

Rolling off the correct name/term during the assessment will feel like a breath of fresh air to the assessor, and it demonstrates that you have prepared yourself.

I have a HORRID memory for remembering jargon. The way I use is to sit down with pile of blank cards (about playing card size), and write the term on one side, and an explaination on the other.

Just the writing helps me learn, and you have the benifit of being able to use the cards to self test yourself.

As has been said, Don't get uptight during the assessment (and don't worry, after you have passed these, there are loads more :lol:)

All the best

CS 30 was a doddle for me I wasnt very confident to about half way through then I relaxed and just enjoyed telling the assesor all I new and all I could tell him realy.

But my 31 went completly pete tong. cut through my hinge on one side looked round the back of the tree aswell. I think if you have a decent hinge you should be fine dont look around front or back and remeber saftey zones to dont go to close to tree etc.

Youll be fine im sure good luck

Cheers guys. I'm sure I'll be fine. The week course went really well and only had a couple of bad cuts but the rest went fine. There was another lad on the course who should never be allowed to look at a saw let alone use one, just my luck that he'll pass and I won't!