conservation area

treefrog

Thanks for the replies, can always rely on Arbtalk for a stimulating debate.

The consensus would seem to be that:

• Measure at 1.5 (despite coppicing being a forestry operation CA regs work on arb measurements).

• If any stem to be cut on any stool is greater than 75mm a notice should be submitted to the LA.

Have I got that right?

Now, as I like to take things to the nth degree, if only one stem on one stool exceeds the 75mm, would the notice only have to be submitted for that stool or should it include the whole operation?

Any and all further input welcome.

Hi

The 2012 Regs. say measure at 1.5m above the natural ground level.

Ed

Ed (and all learned friends!), what would be your take on "above natural ground level" where a tree (as is very common in Cornwall) grows from the top of a Cornish hedge (earth & stone) which may itself be greater than 1.5m above surrounding ground level?

I have been taking measurements of DBH from the point where the tree grows from the top of the hedge which seems sensible but it's not "natural ground level."

When recording tree height, that is from ground level but with supporting comment to say the base of the tree is 1/1.5m above ground level since it sits atop a hedge.

Any thoughts??

59766e877fae5_ScreenShot2015-11-26at19_30_46.png.9137ccbd73bc0c7de441e4da1c3483f9.png

• Measure at 1.5 (despite coppicing being a forestry operation CA regs work on arb measurements).

• If any stem to be cut on any stool is greater than 75mm a notice should be submitted to the LA.

Have I got that right?

Now, as I like to take things to the nth degree, if only one stem on one stool exceeds the 75mm, would the notice only have to be submitted for that stool or should it include the whole operation?

As I already said, it depends on what country you're in.

Have I got that right?

The majority of the advice given here (including mine) is from the 2012 regs which doesn't apply to Scotland. Jules is the only one that looked at the Scottish Act as that is his area. If in doubt, download the legislation and check the CA exemptions for yourself. They are easy to understand and will take you about 10 mins if you skim it.

The majority of the advice given here (including mine) is from the 2012 regs which doesn't apply to Scotland. Jules is the only one that looked at the Scottish Act as that is his area. If in doubt, download the legislation and check the CA exemptions for yourself. They are easy to understand and will take you about 10 mins if you skim it.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. There is much more in primary legislation than in Regulations up here compared with England, and the legislation.gov website still doesn't have the changes to the 1997 planning Act made by the 2006 Act, so a full manual merger is required. I have done this if anyone wants a copy.

The out of date Act probably still refers to the now repealed 1975, 1981 and 1984 Regulations.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. There is much more in primary legislation than in Regulations up here compared with England, and the legislation.gov website still doesn't have the changes to the 1997 planning Act made by the 2006 Act, so a full manual merger is required. I have done this if anyone wants a copy.

The out of date Act probably still refers to the now repealed 1975, 1981 and 1984 Regulations.

I shall bow to your superior knowledge of Scottish legislation then Jules. I assumed it would be pretty straight forward like the English regs. i.e. the 2012 regs supersede all others in England so the exemptions mentioned in there are the only ones you need to worry about. I'm glad in not on the border and have to work to two separate set of rules. :confused1:

I shall bow to your superior knowledge of Scottish legislation then Jules. I assumed it would be pretty straight forward like the English regs. i.e. the 2012 regs supersede all others in England so the exemptions mentioned in there are the only ones you need to worry about. I'm glad in not on the border and have to work to two separate set of rules. :confused1:

I worked all last winter on a site straddling the welsh english border, and the planning regime changed from field to field. Head-hurting. I just about manage to keep on top of it all. The scottish set-up used to be better than England until the 2012 Regs, you guys have pretty much caught up now.

If in doubt, download the legislation and check the CA exemptions for yourself. They are easy to understand and will take you about 10 mins if you skim it.

I find legislation very difficult to read, and even harder to understand. In the event that I'm involved in the cutting I'll give the TO a ring and get their opinion on it, if the customer is doing it themselves I'll advise them to do the same. I value the opinions of the Arbtalk collective, which is why I asked, but I'm afraid I'm not going to take them as gospel.

Yes I am in Stirlingshire and so are the trees in question.