conservation area

treefrog

Hi all,

Whilst 'in principle' I would agree and endorse what has been said above in terms of liaison with the LPA (Local Planning Authority, the Authority responsible for TPOs etc. (sorry, 'grannies/eggs/sucks!)) in so doing I would make it clear that in your opinion it is NOT a tree and you are informing them as a matter of courtesy, albeit very politely of course.

My concern is that if you ask 'if its included?' it could end up TPO'd and yes, okay, there is the opportunity to object etc. etc. therefater but why go there in the first place if you can avoid it. Obviously if the TO is minded to TPO it they will do so anyway...hopefully not though.

Lastly, in order to clarify the situation of measure stem diameters and to demonstrate complete consistency (NOT!) my understanding is as follows:

1. In the 'arboricultural world', inc. TPO/CA & Dev. sites & conditional survey this is measured at 1.5m above ground level (agl).

2. In the 'forestry/silvicultural world', inc. felling licences & timber conversion etc. etc. this is measured at 1.3m agl.

3. In the tree production/nursery world, albeit as a girth/circumferential(?) measuerment, this is at 1.0m

There...hope that helps (AND, as always, stand to be corrected...c'mon Hamadryad I know you're waiting in the wings to pounce...tee hee!)

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here, but has anyone any further thoughts or experiences on this?

I've a customer who has planted a small number of willows and hazels, probably around 20, in their garden which they intend to coppice (I'm not sure for what purpose). They're a couple of years away from doing their first cut at the moment, but when time comes..... will they need to notify the LA? Should stems be measured at 1.5m as per arb or 1.3m as per forestry?

My way of thinking is that if it's less than 7.5cm dbh then it should be fine without submitting a notice, regardless of size of stool, but any experiences would be gratefully received.

Hi

The 2012 Regs. say measure at 1.5m above the natural ground level.

Ok to answer the original question, which relates to works in a conservation area. If none of the stems are greater than 75mm when measured at 1.5m above ground level then no need to notify the Council.

If only one stem of a multi-stem tree is greater than 75mm at 1.5m above ground level then you would need to notify the Council for any works to the tree, even removing stems smaller than 75mm.

Personally I wouldn't say a hazel coppice was a tree so wouldn't be bothered. But I don't think I'm your tree officer, so best check with them.

A four foot coppice stool sounds as if it has some age, and will have some bio-diversity value. Bear this in mind.

Spruce Pirate. You will only need to notify the Council if your client is in a conservation area. If they are, measure at 1.5m, that is what is set out in the Regs.

Ed

Spruce Pirate is in Scotland, so the advice about multistemmed treees doesn't apply. At least I can't see any scottish equivalent to the english Reg 15(2)(a).

Edited by daltontrees

Resurrecting an old thread here, but has anyone any further thoughts or experiences on this?

I've a customer who has planted a small number of willows and hazels, probably around 20, in their garden which they intend to coppice (I'm not sure for what purpose). They're a couple of years away from doing their first cut at the moment, but when time comes..... will they need to notify the LA? Should stems be measured at 1.5m as per arb or 1.3m as per forestry?

My way of thinking is that if it's less than 7.5cm dbh then it should be fine without submitting a notice, regardless of size of stool, but any experiences would be gratefully received.

As Paul said, they should be measured at 1.5m not DBH which is 1.3, a forestry measurement. I'm pretty sure this is discussed in regulation 15 which covers CA exceptions within the regs. In the case of multi stem trees you use the thickest stem, if that is over 75mm then a notice is required. If they are below 75mm then not. You can increase this to 100mm in some circumstances. .e.g. thinning woodlands.