Footlocking

Steve Bullman

I'm no expert at footlocking but occasionally use it and would like to use it more. heres just a few pointers for beginners

i use a 6 or 8 coil klemhiest....its generally considered better than a prussik in this application. the length of the footlock cord should ideally be long enough so it is just out of reach...some may disagree, please say why if so!

As footlocking is apparently bad for the joints some people advise you alternate which foot you lead with. i personally find that a bit awkward but if you're comfortable with it its undoubtedly better.

Try and start off with the rope totally vertical otherwise when you start your first lock you'll find yourself swinging straight away.

after you lock the rope between your feet tuck them under your bum and then stand straight up, again this prevents swing....its nice if you can stand up in one fluid motion sliding your hands up the rope to advance the hitch cord as you go.....make sure you dont put your hand above the friction hitch at anytime.

i'll leave it there for now so others can add to it!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not sure what you are saying that you

" use a 6 or 8 coil klemhiest....its generally considered better than a prussik in this application. the length of the footlock cord should ideally be long enough so it is just out of reach..."

are you using a separate cord or the tail of your rope - i do the double footlock, and a single - picture attached - that moss put on the buzz, it works great for me - but i use a footLOOP cord to get off the ground.

footlocksingle.jpg

Double ascenders are a good way to learn, but encourage bad habits! One tip i can think of is when footlocking on ascenders, never push them right up to the anchor point, as they will get stuck! Similarly, when using a strop, never push the hitch right up to the anchor point, otherwise the v in the two legs of the line may cause the hitch to slacken and lose its grip. A distance equivelent to 5 times the diameter of the branch is recommended.

Other than that, practise, practise, practise!

This is for if you have a difficult branch that your access line is near or resting on. Begin a swing when you are on the ground and time it so you are swinging away from the branch when you make that lock. It saves alot of effort.

I find it smoother to do a little jump off my feet and slide the rope up quickly with my hands to minimise the time my weight is in my hands. This takes a lot of the strain off the wrists and forearms.

• 4 months later...

A guy I work with showed me how he footlocks, but I have a question about the technique. After crotching his line, he tied off one end of his line to another tree as an achor point. My question is: If you are by yourself with nobody to untie your rope, is there another way to use this technique? When I asked him that question, his reply was "You shouldn't be working by yourself". That's all fine and good, but in reality, I do side-work and sometimes I am by myself. So, is there a way to footlock w/o anchoring your line?