hedge laying

little&large

Hi all i have just had an enquiry for a job that includes some hede laying - this is something i have been interested in but never done. The job is just south of Peterborough - does anyone on here do this type of work or know someone that does and is interested in coming to have a look? Failing that does anyone know of any courses that are run?

Hi all i have just had an enquiry for a job that includes some hede laying - this is something i have been interested in but never done. The job is just south of Peterborough - does anyone on here do this type of work or know someone that does and is interested in coming to have a look? Failing that does anyone know of any courses that are run?

Too late now, birds nesting, etc. What type of hedge?

Defo too late for hedgelaying L&L. Hedgelaying usually done end of Nov to mid March at the very latest. This year you could of got away with upto the end of March with the winter being so cold and spring delayed, doing it now would be bad for the hedge and nesting birds.

thanks for the heads up - new was too late now, client wanting to complete at the right time of year and just wants a ball park figure for budgeting purpose. Just thought someone might be interested to have a look with regards doing it later in the year.

The hedge comprises of mainly Hawthorn and Blackthorn. And as i said before if there is no-one about does anyone know of any courses that are run?

You could try here:-

NHLS - Home page

Hedgelaying - How to lay a hedge

Or you could try contacting your local councils countryside department to if they offer any volunteer conservation days where you can go along and have a go. My local countryside service does this, and I've been a few times and it makes for a great day out learning a new skill. But I've never done it on my own as a professional service, (as I'm nothing like a professional master hedgelayer) so I would'nt know how to go about pricing such a job, plus your bit out of my neck of the woods.

Done right tis a beautiful thing to behold. So keep searching mate, I'm sure you'll find some'at or some one that will help you out.

regards.