Meripilus on Beech

John Hancock

Just a thought....In all my years as an arborist I've never seen a beech windthrow that had Maripilus, although I've removed many that were host to the nasty little pathogen!

Does anyone know of a Beech tree with Meripilus that has escaped the arborists chainsaw and if so, how many years has it stood.

I only ask because some time ago there was a thought that perhaps we were being to hasty in removing them. It would be interesting if there was any evidence to substantiate this......

I recall an avenue of Beech riddled with meripilius some 5 years ago, to my knowledge they are still standing! I will check them out this week.

That would be great if you could. I’ve taken 5 Beech down in one cemetery alone in Worcester, I expect its just a matter of time until the others go the way of the chainsaw. If I had a Beech without a target beneath and it had Meripilius it would be interesting to study the decay in the root system over a period of time. I know we’re all told to fell as soon as fruiting bodies emerge but it would be nice to see for myself…

That would be great if you could. I’ve taken 5 Beech down in one cemetery alone in Worcester, I expect its just a matter of time until the others go the way of the chainsaw. If I had a Beech without a target beneath and it had Meripilius it would be interesting to study the decay in the root system over a period of time. I know we’re all told to fell as soon as fruiting bodies emerge but it would be nice to see for myself…

I too have felled my fair share of beech with merrip, one tree in paticuler I remember we ground the stump out as far, wide and as deep as possible, and to behonest the roots didn't show any signs of decay at all..

We need the funny looking fella with the 'hair' on here....Where are you David?? :alberteinstein:

I tell you what would be very interesting...Air-spade a Beech root system after one has been felled. I wonder if it would be poss' to lift most of the root system, invert it and then study the decay....?