Meripilus on Beech

John Hancock

I tell you what would be very interesting...Air-spade a Beech root system after one has been felled. I wonder if it would be poss' to lift most of the root system, invert it and then study the decay....?

IMO you would most likely need to do this a hundred times over if you are to gather information that could in any way be considered reliable for the purposes of informing the industry as to the real characteristics of the fungus

Not that this should stop you.

It's good to do for your own information.

I like to cross section where there is rot after I have guesstimated how far I think the cavity or rot may go and look at the structural integrity etc

Good for personal learning

You need to get out more!!!!!!!!!

Only kidding,I do the same:wave:

we had a very large beach with mirrip that we reduced by 30% and tryed to retain blow over...it covered 3 gardens and took out 2 sheads and there contents ....apart from the main bowl of roots they disapeared to rotten mush stumps around 2 metres from the stem...the upturned root plate if you could call it that stank of fungus.....there was a whole line of them that nearly all had die back and where infected due to cable tels amazing instalation of cables only a few remain.