Stump grinding on a slope

redmoosefaction

If you can get to just below the stumps is it then possible to use the grinder to make a ledge that you can then put the grinder on to continue grinding?

I had similar problems last week though and no where near 45 degrees, so I guesss it would be difficult!

Little stumps like that are fairly simple. Either dig a little hole under them and rope them to the Landy and drive off or if you can't get a vehicle to them then chain them to a hi-lift jack and lift them out. A decent mattock will work too and it's probably easier than getting a stump grinder to them in the first place! I have a post hole bar which is great for things like this. It's a 6'ish long bar with like a heavy duty barking iron type blade on the end. Whack off the big roots all the way around then lever under it. It should be out in under two minutes!

I haven't used many stump grinders but those I have have been a right arse on slopes!

Hi,

Any ideas on how to grind on a slope of 45 degrees, are there self levelling machines, or should I just winch them out, there are no major stumps, just 5-7 years old ash saplings.

Cheers[/quote

Ground these stumps out recently on slope of 40 to 45 degrees, using my old little david. Managed to get the job done, but so,so, hard on the operator, also had to get another body to help me with the pushing and pulling, to move the grinder about. My carlton wouldn't manage on the slope.

I tried every where I could think of to source hydraulic grinder that would cope, but couldn't find anything that would manage to work on the steep embankment. Im still looking for a new grinder that would cope with that kind of work.

Image0076.jpg.95e5b5305888884af767e13f8acc87db.jpg

Image0073.jpg.3cb4a52fd59a4854a8443b5f0d795dab.jpg

Image0071.jpg.3c5918d0e211068eaca0293e646e9397.jpg

Image0070.jpg.54170005371875592d498d1b6742ac67.jpg

had this problems a month or so and the grinder just wouldnt work on a slope something to with oil on the slope not getting to the engine. We tried to stick a rope round a tree with a prusick to hold it there while 3 blokes tried grinding just wasnt happening. About 20 stumps in a garden and we only managed 10 luckily customer was alryt and happy with it like that.