Oak pollard

Bretonboy

mullered for firewood :laugh1:. Not my cup of tea, but having lived and worked in france i know its there style. Got back from a visit recently and french tree surgery differs so much from british techniques. Theres seems to be to top everything to ladder height :laugh1:. There are some great old pollards over there, some of the street pollards are amazing. But in the main when i was over there about a month ago for a visit the majority of tree work i saw was sloppy and shoddy, not pollarding for the correct reasons.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It could an interesting debate though: when does sound, tradiditional arboricultural management practice (which this clearli is) cross the line to become topping? Especially in the eyes of the hoi polloi.

Well the difference is that this was done by a guy who cleary used target pruning/solid arboricultural principles rather than just indiscriminate hacking and internodal stubs left everywhere.

I think it is great that in some places at least, fire wood is being got via the old route rather than from the fell and replace brigade, which in my mind is a far worse crime than this.:sneaky2:

My grandmother once told me that during the war her father had german prisoners of war on the farm.They would go around pollarding the oaks.She said they had never seen anything like it before.The farm is no longer in the family and the oaks have gone,making way for bigger fields.

mullered for firewood :laugh1:. Not my cup of tea, but having lived and worked in france i know its there style. Got back from a visit recently and french tree surgery differs so much from british techniques. Theres seems to be to top everything to ladder height :laugh1:. There are some great old pollards over there, some of the street pollards are amazing. But in the main when i was over there about a month ago for a visit the majority of tree work i saw was sloppy and shoddy, not pollarding for the correct reasons.

Point taken, but when in Rome. Local farmers apply the the total wipe out method, cut everything down and turn into firewood or the large circular saw on tractor arm technic, target prunning it is not. Both look bloody horrible. This was also the clients holiday home and the need to balance the books some what regarding our fee set against the gain of firewood was also a consideration.

Point taken, but when in Rome. Local farmers apply the the total wipe out method, cut everything down and turn into firewood or the large circular saw on tractor arm technic, target prunning it is not. Both look bloody horrible. This was also the clients holiday home and the need to balance the books some what regarding our fee set against the gain of firewood was also a consideration.

Personaly I would have liked to see some growth on a stem or two, sap risers, but i try to balance out some of the negative reponses this kind of thing gets around here, when it is a perfectly acceptable rural managment concept with very sound ecological, and carbon store reasons for doing so.

When are people (ARBS) going to get it into thier heads that this is a GOOD practice if done right.

Here in the U.K we have a LONG standing history of this technique and it results in some of the most venerable and interesting trees in Europe, It is time to enhance principles that where discovered long ago and move on into a new era of undertsanding trees, decay and global ecology on a whole nuther level.

CODIT is all well and good but it is not to be rigidly adhered to, if we stick to the rules religously we will live in an impoverished world of sterility and diminishing diversity.

This pollard will provide shelter and food to a great many species over the next one hundred years and probably a lot lot longer.

far far and away more so than any perfectly formed maiden.

its not a pollard though.....................

Is'nt a true pollard started when a tree is young and is then cut at regular intervals. This is when huge pollard "knuckles" are formed.

The oak in question, was quite mature and established. This was not pollarded but had its crown "topped out".

its not a pollard though.....................

Is'nt a true pollard started when a tree is young and is then cut at regular intervals. This is when huge pollard "knuckles" are formed.

The oak in question, was quite mature and established. This was not pollarded but had its crown "topped out".

Nowt like being picky :001_tongue:

The term pollard has lost its "true" meaning i guess BUT that oak in question is a pollard imo, Modern version maybe and done to the extreme haha but still a good job

Nowt like being picky :001_tongue:

The term pollard has lost its "true" meaning i guess BUT that oak in question is a pollard imo, Modern version maybe and done to the extreme haha but still a good job

I couldnt agree more, the word pollard has to have been in use for as long as recorded history, and i dont care who says otherwise, the queen for all I care, this tree here was how it was done.

old school cool!:thumbup1:

bradgate deer park, best veteran tree site in Europe and 99% are oak pollards!:thumbup1:

Think you did a nice job but poor tree.:confused1:

would this quote be the same if the tree was a willow?

This in my eyes is a true pollard, the other attempts you see where the crown has been reduced by 99.9% in my eyes is butchery.

In for a penny in for a pound i say.

Good job wish i would be around in 30 years time to see the new crown in all it`s glory!