Pay your money, build your own nest!

RPA

4 hours ago, TTownsend said:

Nice one man, must be an awesome feeling finding this orginally thread and seeing how far you've come! Hard work does pay off it seems, even though sometimes it doesn't look like it.

It is a good feeling.  I know I am a much better business man than I am a climber and therefore thrive on the office side of things.  I am proud of the fact I have taken lads off the dole and employed them for 5 plus years giving them a raft of tickets and loads of experience, some stay, some go, either way they know how to work this industry safely and make good money.  I also have taken lads from other companies when they wanted a change and can still offer career progression.

4 hours ago, skyhuck said:

More importantly (IMO) are you making more and enjoying your work?

Definitely making more, investing a good chunk back in as I don't need the money at present but I know it's there in assets should I ever need it.  Also by investing more we can ultimately be more productive, bid for bigger jobs and make more per day.  As for enjoying it, yes.  I do miss time out on the tools sometimes when the office side of things or pricing work takes all my time but I structure my time much more around the children now and aim to complete the office side of things and pricing through core work hours instead of on an evening giving me more family time.  I also really like seeing other people progress and grow in the industry.  Like it says above I have taken people off the dole and given them a career and have people with the company doing apprenticeships.  Also people who have never managed a site or a team are given a chance to see if they like that side of work.

1 hour ago, Mark Wileman said:

Sounds like you've made it.

I'm still at the Vauxhall Vivaro, 2 saws and a bucket of climbing gear stage!

Rock Machinery chipper is on a pallet heading my way though :)

Stick with it, the best advice I can give is start small.  Don't bite off more than you can chew and don't take on a job that would see you financially ruined if it failed to pay.  Reputation is everything as people rarely look for more than one price when you have been recommended to them or it's repeat work.  Arbtalk is (or certainly used to be) a hive of knowledge and I have met some really good contacts through it.  I probably wouldn't be where I am now without some of those contacts.

• Like 7