My poorly plum tree pls help

bargaingirl

Question

Hi i have a lovely plum tree in my garden which has been doing well for years..then last year it developed these little brown nodules, that you could flick off, but it was covered in them.

When the leaves grew they turned blackish in colour and others curled up, no fruit developed.

we hosed down the tree but this year the lumpy things are back

Pls how can i get rid of them and make my plum tree better.

uploaded pictures but not sure where they've gone!!!

597655ba40409_poorplumtree011.jpg.0555add709ea166dc0774544688ba43e.jpg

597655ba3e909_poorplumtree009.jpg.9b0fb05a0ae93496844e0d24297b1e7f.jpg

597655ba3ae90_poorplumtree001.jpg.78aec794c6aa15c45538576d1be8741b.jpg

They look like scale insects, they feed off sap directly from the tree but I'm not sure if they can do the significant damage that you're describing, I believe a secondary infection might be to blame (something that got in through through the little holes in the tree the insects made while feeding) But I may well be wrong, it looks like a pretty serious infestation and plum trees aren't the most resilient.

If you want to control the scale insects, you can buy horticultural oil from farm shops and mix it with water before hosing the tree with it, this oil suffocates the insects. Try to get a good coverage.

Continue doing so each time there's an outbreak and see if the tree's condition starts to improve.

More adept arbtalkers may correct me, I'm only 20 so my pest and disease knowledge isn't quite up to par yet. :blushing:

Edited by Ben90

cheers guys for advice so far....

Ben the bugs seem to be dead they're not moving round!!

Dean i sprayed it with soapy water last year! didnt do a thing

A milling ltd... apparently mortegg is banned in britain!! is there a substitute? I googled it and it came up with old empty tin on ebay for £23.00! LOL

If it is a scale insect its’ likely the “nodules” are the dead bodies of last year’s female population. This year’s nymphs are sheltering under them waiting for the leaves to erupt.

Big infestations will reduce the vigour particularly in small or heavily pruned trees but the symptoms you describe sound more like a systemic problem. I would suspect a micro fungus.

http://www.calu.bangor.ac.uk/Technical%20leaflets/020403plumsanddamson.pdf

Neem oil is a great natural alternative that I have used to control infestations of scale insects. Where possible soak the root ball with the neem oil mix aswell as foliar spray. Repeat doses will bring the infestation under control, you will still need to physically remove the insects as they will still attach themselves even when dead.

I usually just run my finger along the stems and brush them off.

Good garden centres should stock Neem Tree Oil.