What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

i think the generation of today, have all been molly coddled, me (Mrs) had to go to work weekends, evenings and holidays with Dad who was a self employed plumber - I was the only girl who knew what a set of stilsons were at 16! - and how to use them! (Mr) walked 4 miles to work at the local farm everyday before and after school at age 12 , first he walked then got enough of a wage off said farmer to buy a bike,

I think the problem is now adays, the children see the parents only work 9-5, or lucky to see their parents work at all and so dont get to see the work ethic - if the parents work, i think too much is made of weekends off and sit and watch telly or play video games, weekends to me and hubby were work - but we enjoyed it, it was a way of seeing Dad or for Mr. seeing his friends at the farm and getting into an industry that he loves.

When i got my first paid job at 14 as a saturday girl at boots (Mrs - not Mr logbaron I add!) we were watched over by the gestapo of the shop floor - and if we werent polite, helpful - open doors for pushchairs etc - we were in fear of our job - now you go into a shop or a service industry the employees cant even be bothered to serve you, they have a surly attitude in my opinion that wasnt seen only 30 years ago.

It is unfortunate but I think the only people who will ever work hard are those that have a drive to be as good as or better than their parents and who want to strive to show thier children the right work ethic - unfortunately those people will always be self employed and very few will be available for employment

it is a testament to your parents to show how you have been bought up I think, as you are on show as a reflection of them - and many a comment i have had over the years of being Mr. plumbers daughter - "oh he was the best plumber in the area - if your as hard working as him youll go far etc etc" - and the same for mr. logbaron - his family are self employed builders, but alot of his farming friends know him as being a surrogate son of the local farmer he was his shadow from age 12 and they all know what a worker he is .

my children work on the farm with us and have their jobs with the animals etc, they work the levers on the log splitters etc under supervision and we have picnics together, we work and enjoy being together the boys have lessons in the tractors and we I think are bringing them up to show that working hard has its rewards - to us as a family working evenings and weekends together is sometimes the only time the boys see dad - but we work hard and this enables us to go away on nice holidays in the caravan

I take your point, but my dad was always working and I don't want to do the same. I try to keep evenings and weekends as family time doing things together (not work)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take your point, but my dad was always working and I don't want to do the same. I try to keep evenings and weekends as family time doing things together (not work)

in this economic climate it would be lovely to work 9-5 but being self employed and farmers and foresters and selling logs i dont think you can?:confused1: and yes you probably think theyve got too much on their plate - but thats what you have to do to keep the money rolling in and keep the lads paid - roll on the good times again when we can finish earlier and take on some more help to maintain the tractors, move the equipment and deliver the logs but until that happens, we do it all as a family helping and supporting one another, - were lucky to have good workers, good mates and a great family.

dont get my first answer wrong - were not always working! heaven forbid - but what we do is a life choice - i dont want to work in an office doing 9-5 and i dont want my children bought up indoors watching nintendo - so they get their overalls on and get muddy! with Dad:lol: yeseterday the boys found some dead baby rabbits in the woodchip

Image0011.jpg.4dbdfff914b1491dbd76536876a58268.jpg

For the aspiring younger people waiting for thing to happen for them bemoaning the fact that they dont get a break in life, take leaf from my sons book. He wanted to be a garden designer, do work that he wanted and the way he wanted. He couldnt get a break with any of the local successful design companies, so he grabbed the bull by the horns, and set himself up having finished his degree. He also bought a small rundown plant shop, and has turned it around selling good quality plants and offering a personal service advising customers. Today, he took his show on the road, to a local high-brow plant fair, and pushed his business further, sales mixed with meet and greet, and had a very successful day. So dont sit back thinking it will never happen, Just Do It!

IMG00007-20100328-1452.jpg.b7129a41de247c1e4d5c36c7a24a472a.jpg

I flatly refuse to employ young 'white boys' (as the Latinos call 'em) over here. About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike they are. Mistahben is the only non-Latino who worked for me that could hack it and keep up.

Hey yeh but could they keep up with me? ;):001_tt2:

Totally agree with these comments after having had working with me young British lads over last months and being totally unimpressed with there willing to work and learn i have now gone back to working with blokes my own age 44yrs and what a difference!! all i can say is 1965 was a great year!!