What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back to the smoking thing, i write the cheque so i decide on the rules, simples. i dont want to be around smoke, i dont want anyone smoking on my sites, and i dont pay wages so guys can wonder off every hour for a fag. And roll up smokers are worse, 5 mins to roll it, 10 mins to relight it and puff away.

But i also wouldnt employ lads that are in the pub every night or drink every night at home, it all has an effect on their work, you cant give 100% if you are hung over, not fit or coughing your lungs up everytime you have to drag a branch up a hill.

Yeah, sorry again. It won't happen again, promise!

Feel like a right plumb :blushing:

we have all had a rant and looked stupid mate, you need to remember this isnt a conversation between 2 folk, the world is watching, you have done the right thing and put your hand up and apologised. this place can be a whirl wind of emotions, hard to believe when its only text on a screen. make good use of the little faces on the left, it can make a huge diference. dont beat yourself up, thats our job:001_tt2::001_cool:

its simple, no matter what youre age, if you work hard, are good at what you do, and a model employee, you WILL get work, people WILL want to employ you, and you WILL be paid accordingly.

mick, i think the problem is that there are hundreds of young guys who want to be a tree surgeon, but have never even seen a saw or done any hard work, they then go through college, which is at a nice slow steady pace, get given a trial with blokes like you, and suddenly 9/10 of them realise its a bloody hard industry to labour in, let alone be skillfull. imo out of 20 college leavers, 2 or 3 will be capable of working hard, and maybe only 1 will be skillfull and hard working enough to be capable of being a decent tree guy, the other 17 will try, fail, cry, blame everyone else, work in tesco's.

its simple, no matter what youre age, if you work hard, are good at what you do, and a model employee, you WILL get work, people WILL want to employ you, and you WILL be paid accordingly.

mick, i think the problem is that there are hundreds of young guys who want to be a tree surgeon, but have never even seen a saw or done any hard work, they then go through college, which is at a nice slow steady pace, get given a trial with blokes like you, and suddenly 9/10 of them realise its a bloody hard industry to labour in, let alone be skillfull. imo out of 20 college leavers, 2 or 3 will be capable of working hard, and maybe only 1 will be skillfull and hard working enough to be capable of being a decent tree guy, the other 17 will try, fail, cry, blame everyone else, work in tesco's.

Thats why I think apprenterships are a good scheme you get the nitty gritty day to day work and then go to college and see how slow and easy life there is. I discovered pretty early on that work is different to colelge in so many different ways.

After reading most posts i can see everyones point. Talking from my experience i work for an utility company, it has a high turnover of staff!!

If your out of work for a long time the dole put you on a chainsaw course then climbing and so on. Ask yourself why they have been out of work? They are boneidle (not everyone)

They get put on a placement with our company and dont want to do anything, they find out what other experienced boys earn and do even less.Some of these boys have cut their arms, jackets, ropes and one even cut his own anchor point!! Why should they be paid top dollar they cant think of their own safety let alone others they also do little as possible.

When i started over ten years ago i paid for all my own courses, when i was qualified i phoned all local companies untill i got a chance to prove myself, I never put a price on myself i took what i was offered and have never looked back.

All you youngsters that are keen keep at it you will soon get an opening to proove yourselves.

i think the generation of today, have all been molly coddled, me (Mrs) had to go to work weekends, evenings and holidays with Dad who was a self employed plumber - I was the only girl who knew what a set of stilsons were at 16! - and how to use them! (Mr) walked 4 miles to work at the local farm everyday before and after school at age 12 , first he walked then got enough of a wage off said farmer to buy a bike,

I think the problem is now adays, the children see the parents only work 9-5, or lucky to see their parents work at all and so dont get to see the work ethic - if the parents work, i think too much is made of weekends off and sit and watch telly or play video games, weekends to me and hubby were work - but we enjoyed it, it was a way of seeing Dad or for Mr. seeing his friends at the farm and getting into an industry that he loves.

When i got my first paid job at 14 as a saturday girl at boots (Mrs - not Mr logbaron I add!) we were watched over by the gestapo of the shop floor - and if we werent polite, helpful - open doors for pushchairs etc - we were in fear of our job - now you go into a shop or a service industry the employees cant even be bothered to serve you, they have a surly attitude in my opinion that wasnt seen only 30 years ago.

It is unfortunate but I think the only people who will ever work hard are those that have a drive to be as good as or better than their parents and who want to strive to show thier children the right work ethic - unfortunately those people will always be self employed and very few will be available for employment

it is a testament to your parents to show how you have been bought up I think, as you are on show as a reflection of them - and many a comment i have had over the years of being Mr. plumbers daughter - "oh he was the best plumber in the area - if your as hard working as him youll go far etc etc" - and the same for mr. logbaron - his family are self employed builders, but alot of his farming friends know him as being a surrogate son of the local farmer he was his shadow from age 12 and they all know what a worker he is .

my children work on the farm with us and have their jobs with the animals etc, they work the levers on the log splitters etc under supervision and we have picnics together, we work and enjoy being together the boys have lessons in the tractors and we I think are bringing them up to show that working hard has its rewards - to us as a family working evenings and weekends together is sometimes the only time the boys see dad - but we work hard and this enables us to go away on nice holidays in the caravan

Edited by Joy Yeomans
spell

Yep that's about the sum of it - and that 1 skillfull and hardworking guy will be off to start his own company! :sneaky2: