Private work: your own pictures

jacktaylor

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think jack is a quality lad. He is a good friend of mine, and I respect him alot. I started one year before Jack so in no way am I valid in fighting off slurs about his felling or private work. But he has only been involved with Arb for 6 months. With no real work placement, and only small amounts of practical work at college (It is a theory based course) but Jack has shown so much interest and put in buckets of hard work into his learning. He frequently climbs, recreationally, but not loads of work climbing. He has learnt loads in his time, he has a naturally ability to climb, a very strong lad for his age, he is also very methodical with his work.

So yes, he has failed to put up traffic control, it was in a cul de sac. A small take down completed in less than two hours. Yes, his hinge wasnt mint. He still has a lot to learn. I think he should be given the right to a bit of slack as he, Like I, is still in the industry a newcomer. He has done great even getting a bit of work I think.

I do though, completely disagree with any negative comments regarding lecturers at Easton college, the 2 main practical tutors there are all top of the game. Trevor Reynolds, A 30+ year experienced Arborist, Is 50 years old. But still one of the best climbers I know, Hes worked all around the world, LA's and loads of other firms. There is very few things anybody could teach him about Arboriculture. Carl Ansell, has been an Arborist for 26 years I believe, owned his own business, covered all kinds of tree care and also Forestry. He is a expert at felling trees, everyone I have met, who knows him well, has said that. They are brilliant teachers and have a great way of really showing you things that matter in the working world. I think they are great for letting students do fells such as that Chestnut, because, yes, they could easily knock it down themselves, but surely part of learning, is actually doing it? They have there full respect from me in every way, and I can say that on behalf of all the students at Easton being taught by them. For those of you on this site who know of who I am speaking of, I am sure you will agree 100%. Sorry if this sounds like a rant, its really not. Its just that I dont like people I think so fondly of being slated by people who really don't know who they are talking about. Matt

I think jack is a quality lad. He is a good friend of mine, and I respect him alot. I started one year before Jack so in no way am I valid in fighting off slurs about his felling or private work. But he has only been involved with Arb for 6 months. With no real work placement, and only small amounts of practical work at college (It is a theory based course) but Jack has shown so much interest and put in buckets of hard work into his learning. He frequently climbs, recreationally, but not loads of work climbing. He has learnt loads in his time, he has a naturally ability to climb, a very strong lad for his age, he is also very methodical with his work.

So yes, he has failed to put up traffic control, it was in a cul de sac. A small take down completed in less than two hours. Yes, his hinge wasnt mint. He still has a lot to learn. I think he should be given the right to a bit of slack as he, Like I, is still in the industry a newcomer. He has done great even getting a bit of work I think.

I do though, completely disagree with any negative comments regarding lecturers at Easton college, the 2 main practical tutors there are all top of the game. Trevor Reynolds, A 30+ year experienced Arborist, Is 50 years old. But still one of the best climbers I know, Hes worked all around the world, LA's and loads of other firms. There is very few things anybody could teach him about Arboriculture. Carl Ansell, has been an Arborist for 26 years I believe, owned his own business, covered all kinds of tree care and also Forestry. He is a expert at felling trees, everyone I have met, who knows him well, has said that. They are brilliant teachers and have a great way of really showing you things that matter in the working world. I think they are great for letting students do fells such as that Chestnut, because, yes, they could easily knock it down themselves, but surely part of learning, is actually doing it? They have there full respect from me in every way, and I can say that on behalf of all the students at Easton being taught by them. For those of you on this site who know of who I am speaking of, I am sure you will agree 100%. Sorry if this sounds like a rant, its really not. Its just that I dont like people I think so fondly of being slated by people who really don't know who they are talking about. Matt

yep i agree they are top teachers really no what they are doing :thumbup1:

is that the horsechestnut over the bike sheds?? if so thats the one i started dismantling and never got to fell it?

Lets not get this out of context Matt, the "criticism" here is good constructive criticism intended to aid, not hinder, a new trainee. Little pointers like these teach you more than any pat on the back will do. Tools lying scattered about can a hazard, maybe not on this fell, but in the future. Comments like these stick in your mind better when you look back. Comments on the gob, the hinge etc make it easier to avoid basic errors later on. Yes we all know the risks of dropping stuff into the road without the correct signage, but Jack showed (to me anyway) that he'd assessed the risk level for the area, placed people either side of the fell area to minimise the risk to others. Not necessarily ideal, but there you go.

Jack, lease carry on posting your exploits, take on board the advice, and hopefully we'll watch you grow into a damn fine tree surgeon.:thumbup:

Well done Jack,you are obviously keen to learn and work. These atributes will stand you head and shoulders above the average.

Take on What your tutors advise you,seems your well on your way.

You are proud of your work,and have the guts to post it on here for others to speculate,

I can see you developing your skills at pace with your attitude!:001_smile:

Matt, if you are meaning I gave the tutors a "slur" i think you need to read carefully again. You will find that Jack never told us what advice he had been given following this fell. When asked he kept answering with such as this, hence why people kept criticizing his teaching;

yeh they both said they were very impressed. I was happy with it myself but if you look in one of the photos i had the chainsaw at a slight angle which ended up giving me a slight tilted back cut btu apart from that i wa shappy with it. :thumbup1:

Jack also asked a fair question, and i gave a part answer but still Jack never revealed what specific advice had been given by his "tutor"

whats wrong with that hinge for a medium fell? let me know any advice you've got about any of my photos. many thanks

Stevie worded it very well.

In my opinion the gob should have been deeper to pick up the wider buttresses, therefore more directional control. Did the instructor point this out, or say anything about the problems of removing buttresses unnecessarily?

Matt, i am sure you must realise there are many people on this forum, like yourself who come here to learn, and i think you will find on this thread especially, almost every post has been constructive. Jack has posted pictures on here, and credit to him for doing so, but it became apparent to me that he had recieved praise for what he had done, but could not disclose specific advice he had been given prior, or after the fell.

As for you Jack, you did the right thing by posting the pics. It seems you are keen to learn and took any comments about your work well, as at one point lastnight it seemed like a rapid fire of posts!:thumbup1:

This place has a very large audience, so keep posting pics etc and use any info you get in a positive way to help with your learning, and good luck, but keep safe.