Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Tony,

After following this thread I find myself wondering if the whole idea of justifying heavy reductions in everyday amenity situations dangerous.

Our industry is all over the place in respect of correct pruning work by tree workers, both within the fragmented industry and in the eyes of the public.

If we have any hope of being seen as professionals surley we need some common ground, like with BS3998, which most people band around without even reading.

This thread is valuable and new ideas and new thinking is priceless but could be taken out of context.

The dogma you talk about in respect of correct pruning methods over the last twenty years have not reached the ears of the general public yet.

So much of the reduction work you discuss is similar to what the public expect anyway when they ring up and asked for their trees to be 'topped'.

I know the difference and you know the difference but should we give our urban trees a chance and go easy with the saw?

After all the jury is still out on this and you will not know the results of your labour for a few years yet.

In case there needs to be clarification, I think many of the trees I have seen on this thread will die due to over pruning in the next few years, but hey I could be wrong!

I think we all know right from wrong for me I am now of an age where money is no longer the drive, so i now just choose to do whats best for the trees and my advice to clients is based on that. simples :thumbup1:

Hello

I dont post often on this site because I feel the freedom of debate on a forum has been lost. But I have to say something about this thread. I have been following since the start and I think its great that pictures are posted of reductions. However I do feel that some are heavy and in the long term will not benefit the tree. That is my view and I asume the knowledge you have is the same as others who bother to read and learn about trees. I may be wrong and I believe others can be. Arb is young and we are all still learning . I hope you are open minded and willing to learn just as you aim to teach us young uns. It will be interesting to see pictures of these trees in say 50-60 years but I doubt that will happen.:001_smile:

Cheers

cheers

Edited by Tree9
Didnt mean to quote

Hello

I dont post often on this site because I feel the freedom of debate on a forum has been lost. But I have to say something about this thread. I have been following since the start and I think its great that pictures are posted of reductions. However I do feel that some are heavy and in the long term will not benefit the tree. That is my view and I asume the knowledge you have is the same as others who bother to read and learn about trees. I may be wrong and I believe others can be. Arb is young and we are all still learning . I hope you are open minded and willing to learn just as you aim to teach us young uns. It will be interesting to see pictures of these trees in say 50-60 years but I doubt that will happen.:001_smile:

Cheers

cheers

Really :confused1:

What makes you feel that way???

Opinions are like noses, we all have one and yours is just as valid as every one else's, so please feel free to give your thoughts as often as you wish:thumbup1:

I also think there will be a great many on here who share your opinion on these reductions :001_smile:

Hi Skyhuck

Dont get me wrong think the site is great for info especially the fungi stuff, but think sometimes people are favoured and backed up by arbtalk buddies if someone dare have a seperate opinion. Think sometimes a bit of my black cats a panther and lets all feed an ego is funny at times though.

Hi Skyhuck

Dont get me wrong think the site is great for info especially the fungi stuff, but think sometimes people are favoured and backed up by arbtalk buddies if someone dare have a seperate opinion. Think sometimes a bit of my black cats a panther and lets all feed an ego is funny at times though.

I must admit a friend of mine was moderated a few times for what seemed like moderate veiws, but simply disagreeing with the majority.

I will dig up an example if I can.

This thread does have a few followers and we know Tony has got upset by the odd comment even if they were not aimed at him personally. Perhaps the moderator is trying to avoid handbags!:biggrin:

Hi Skyhuck

You've just described general human social behaviour, forum or no forum

I must admit a friend of mine was moderated a few times for what seemed like moderate veiws, but simply disagreeing with the majority.

This thread does have a few followers and we know Tony has got upset by the odd comment even if they were not aimed at him personally. Perhaps the moderator is trying to avoid handbags!:biggrin:

No one is moderated for having an opinion ness, maybe they are moderated for the way they present their opinion sometimes though so please don't turn it into something it isn't, thanks :)

Please be assured that people are only moderated for breeches of forum rules, the most common one is swearing or the use of "***" instead of a swear word.

Some times just the offending word or sentence is removed, but some time the whole post.

If you don't wish to be modded don't break the rules, simple :001_smile:

Steve beat me too it.