Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Dynamic cabling, as I understand it is the use of such systems as the Cobra or Tree Guard. I'm sure you know what I mean. I will, however, try and take a picture of some of the ones I've either installed or seen around here.

The point I am trying to make is that one might not need to perform a reduction to the higher percentages some of your examples show, if done in conjunction with cabling (bracing is new to me as a term for it, so forgive my ignorance if we are not talking about the same thing). That said, if the client wants the tree reduced as heavily as some of your reductions show, then its getting reduced.

I consider the ash tree a few pages back, which was done well and I do fully understand the reason behind hitting it that hard. But, if we are to understand that maximizing leaf area will allow the tree to better deal with the stressors acting upon it, rather than pruning it to such high percentages, one could lower the dose and install cables to support some of the major scaffolds one might be concerned with after a given inspection or climb.

Like I said, I understand the need to reduce trees and in some cases to the degree that you have shown. I just wonder if adding cables to the mix will allow us to retain more photosynthetic material while leaving the tree better able to produce the necessary energies, starches and carbohydrates that are required for compartmentalization and the resistance of decay organisms.

In my opinion! it's was a good hard reduction!

Which it is, and it could of looked worse. We have all been there, done it and had a t-shirt printed:lol:

I can share the same thoughts as the canadain, and I would of thought about installalling a few more cobra bracing and a 15% reduction, or a haircut reduction as its known as!!

I'm not so sure the cobra installed at the moment will do anything for a few years as it will not have any leverage on union as there has been fair amount of wind sail area removed. This is the reason I would of chosen more dynamic bracing to be installed. Thus the crown could move the same way it has done for many years just with a little less leaf mass.

It was and still will be a beautiful tree in years to come, after all how do you think you end up with all these veteran trees, most have either collapsed due to excessive weight or had been capped many moons ago.

This is no criticism just a view from my angle.

Hamas, you are lucky enough to remember to take pictures before and after.

my brain always forgets, but I will post mine next year for everyone to pass comment on.

I look forward to following your chapter(s)

Ps this has been written under the influence of mulled wine. Don't shoot me it's Xmas.

Stuart

This is no criticism just a view from my angle.

Hamas, you are lucky enough to remember to take pictures before and after.

my brain always forgets, but I will post mine next year for everyone to pass comment on.

I look forward to following your chapter(s)

Ps this has been written under the influence of mulled wine. Don't shoot me it's Xmas.

Stuart

Its all good bro, its all good.

and if there is one thing of which you can be certain I am unafraid of judgment from anyone, i know EXACTLY what i am doing at all times, and why i am doing it, and can justify it on all counts from the biomechanical to ecological and even amenity and risk perspectives:thumbup1:

Its just a matter of perfecting the wordings, which i am always looking to improve and this thread helps me understand many viewpoints and refine that proscess constantly. So good bad or indifferent, i welcome it all.:thumbup:

Love it! best consultant/tree worker in the world here on arbtalk! Keep em coming.

A little cocky! But nevertheless sharing more than most on this forum.

As you have the academic and underpinning knowledge to justify everything then that is excellent.

For most freelance climbers and for the full-time employed seem told what to do rather than doing what is not only best! but also correct.

got a couple of huge Beech to reduce end of jan if your intrested?near taunton,bed and board thrown in!!is it to far for ya?the trees are beautys

I love travelling about meeting new folk and doing tree work that is worth doing:thumbup1:

checked it out on map its not a problem as long as like you say you can put us up and maybe cover a little fuel for the milage I would call above the norm!:lol:

if your serious give us a bell 07952 948202:thumbup:

I love travelling about meeting new folk and doing tree work that is worth doing:thumbup1:

checked it out on map its not a problem as long as like you say you can put us up and maybe cover a little fuel for the milage I would call above the norm!:lol:

if your serious give us a bell 07952 948202:thumbup:

Brilliant,will give you a bell over the weekend:thumbup1:

Hamdryad,

It is good to see live debate on tree care. One thing I am learning is that Arb on the whole is all over the place. There are very few Arborists who agree on the same action for any given tree issue.

I personally think some of your reductions are too hard, not including reductions made in the interest of retention versus decay etc...

Some of the pictures here show complete defoliation in mid summer.

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right here but it is too early to give a verdict on the long term effects of what we are doing to our urban trees.

Will we know in our lifetime?

Topping and Lopping shows dysfunction very quickly. For reductions below 35% we may have to wait longer.

For most reductions, ie not for safety reasons we always advocate a much softer reduction, and revisiting the tree three or four years later. We work around large trees quickly and carefully so not charging the client silly money.

Skyhuck- you can't sell a heavy reduction on value for money, if the client has to remove the tree in a few years due to snappers.... can you??:001_tongue:

Hamdryad,

It is good to see live debate on tree care. One thing I am learning is that Arb on the whole is all over the place. There are very few Arborists who agree on the same action for any given tree issue.

I personally think some of your reductions are too hard, not including reductions made in the interest of retention versus decay etc...

Some of the pictures here show complete defoliation in mid summer.

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right here but it is too early to give a verdict on the long term effects of what we are doing to our urban trees.

Will we know in our lifetime?

Topping and Lopping shows dysfunction very quickly. For reductions below 35% we may have to wait longer.

For most reductions, ie not for safety reasons we always advocate a much softer reduction, and revisiting the tree three or four years later. We work around large trees quickly and carefully so not charging the client silly money.

Skyhuck- you can't sell a heavy reduction on value for money, if the client has to remove the tree in a few years due to snappers.... can you??:001_tongue: