Looking for used Lucas sawmill

flanagaj

I have a 2nd hand Lucas Mill for sale if anyones interested. I dont know too much about it, only that its the 9" cut version, it has spare blades with it, and also has the slabbing attachment with the chainsaw bar. It has been mothballed for a couple of years, so will need checking over and a bit of tlc, but doesnt look like it has done much work. Price will reflect this !

If you need any more info, you can get me at [email protected]

Thanks

• 7 years later...

• 5 months later...
On 30/11/2018 at 16:47, trigger_andy said:

Resurrecting a a dead thread here. :D But if anyone is selling A Lucas or Peterson Mill let me know. :) 

Same here, has anyone got one they’re thinking of selling? Thanks Chris 

?, sorryyyyy. 

I’m in too minds to go for a Lucas/Peterson or bandsaw. Currently have a logosol m7 and Alaskan, but looking for something a bit quicker and easier. 

Been looking for a few months for both on usual places, Lucas keeps popping up on eBay which seems to be a con as is same pictures but always a different location.. Difficult to know what genuine and not on there these days!! 

11 hours ago, Chrisy B said:

?, sorryyyyy. 

I’m in too minds to go for a Lucas/Peterson or bandsaw. Currently have a logosol m7 and Alaskan, but looking for something a bit quicker and easier. 

Been looking for a few months for both on usual places, Lucas keeps popping up on eBay which seems to be a con as is same pictures but always a different location.. Difficult to know what genuine and not on there these days!! 

I have a Lucas Mill, which I may possibly be selling soon.  I also run a bandsaw mill which I am not selling.

As for which you should get that depends on firstly the logs you have and secondly the timber you want.

If you get large logs you will be struggling with a bandmill.  Even one like mine with a 28" cut will only comfortable handle logs up to about 2 feet diameter, or if bendy then even less.  Yes I know the advertising states that a 28" cut bandsaw will handle logs up to 36 inches but this assumes they are perfectly round and perfectly straight.  Also they are just too big and heavy too turn, so it is just easier to get them under a swing mill (Lucas[Peterson) or if they are monsters even assemble the mill around them.  I have milled logs up to about 8 tons in weight with my Lucas - you cannot do this on a bandmill, unless you get a massive industrial one.  On the other hand, loading lots of small logs onto a Lucas mill is very inefficient. 

So in summary, large logs you want Lucas Mill or Peterson, and small logs you want bandmill.

And the other factor is the stock you want.  A bandmill can produce wide boards - well about 18" to 24" so pretty wide.  This is great if this is what you need.  A Lucas Mill will produce boards up to 9 inches or so (varies a little with the model) but they are square edged.  In theory this is possible with a bandmill but in reality they will be far less accurate and less square and it is a lot of extra handling. 

If you want square edge timber go Lucas/Peterson.  If you want wide boards go Bandmill.

I forgot to say the Lucas mill can have the chainsaw slabbing attachment fitted (and I do have this) but it is really only for occasional use.  It will indeed produce really wide boards but it requires a lot of effort compared with a bandmill and lots of tooth sharpening.  So a good extra but not something you would use daily.

• Like 5

On 04/05/2019 at 21:38, Squaredy said:

I have a Lucas Mill, which I may possibly be selling soon.  I also run a bandsaw mill which I am not selling.

As for which you should get that depends on firstly the logs you have and secondly the timber you want.

If you get large logs you will be struggling with a bandmill.  Even one like mine with a 28" cut will only comfortable handle logs up to about 2 feet diameter, or if bendy then even less.  Yes I know the advertising states that a 28" cut bandsaw will handle logs up to 36 inches but this assumes they are perfectly round and perfectly straight.  Also they are just too big and heavy too turn, so it is just easier to get them under a swing mill (Lucas[Peterson) or if they are monsters even assemble the mill around them.  I have milled logs up to about 8 tons in weight with my Lucas - you cannot do this on a bandmill, unless you get a massive industrial one.  On the other hand, loading lots of small logs onto a Lucas mill is very inefficient. 

So in summary, large logs you want Lucas Mill or Peterson, and small logs you want bandmill.

And the other factor is the stock you want.  A bandmill can produce wide boards - well about 18" to 24" so pretty wide.  This is great if this is what you need.  A Lucas Mill will produce boards up to 9 inches or so (varies a little with the model) but they are square edged.  In theory this is possible with a bandmill but in reality they will be far less accurate and less square and it is a lot of extra handling. 

If you want square edge timber go Lucas/Peterson.  If you want wide boards go Bandmill.

I forgot to say the Lucas mill can have the chainsaw slabbing attachment fitted (and I do have this) but it is really only for occasional use.  It will indeed produce really wide boards but it requires a lot of effort compared with a bandmill and lots of tooth sharpening.  So a good extra but not something you would use daily.

Summed it up perfectly there. Its because of the big capacity of a swing blade mill is why I went that way and you can double saw up to twice the blade cut (18" for a 9" one) but it takes abit of messing about.

H

Do not think that you can beat a Lucas if you have a huge log and need lots of floor boards

i have a slabber and eventually made it easy to use with an electric winch, but I became so enthusiastic that I have ended up with a shed full of beautiful slabs which are far too many as there are only so many tables that I can deal with!

The Lucas can also make lap boards but the main reason I like it is because it is so easy to keep sharp and because the centrifugal effect of the high speed blade keeps the cut very true.  Much more so than you would think given the initial wappy feeling of the frame.

I also like the fact that it will tackle or even prefer very hard and difficult logs that may cause a band Mill some problems, perhaps resulting in a wavy board. ( expecting a degree of flak from Woodmiser owners for that one!)

Bought my 8 inch model and new in 1996 and it has been completely reliable.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Billhook said:

Do not think that you can beat a Lucas if you have a huge log and need lots of floor boards

i have a slabber and eventually made it easy to use with an electric winch, but I became so enthusiastic that I have ended up with a shed full of beautiful slabs which are far too many as there are only so many tables that I can deal with!

The Lucas can also make lap boards but the main reason I like it is because it is so easy to keep sharp and because the centrifugal effect of the high speed blade keeps the cut very true.  Much more so than you would think given the initial wappy feeling of the frame.

I also like the fact that it will tackle or even prefer very hard and difficult logs that may cause a band Mill some problems, perhaps resulting in a wavy board. ( expecting a degree of flak from Woodmiser owners for that one!)

Bought my 8 inch model and new in 1996 and it has been completely reliable.

Sorry slight derail, please could you share or pm details of electric winch- I have slabber and looking at options for manual/powered winch

24 minutes ago, kav said:

Sorry slight derail, please could you share or pm details of electric winch- I have slabber and looking at options for manual/powered winch

I had a small winch which I think is designed for winching boats onto their trailers out of the sea, so not very powerful.

i think you would need to be careful with a stronger winch but you can hear it if it is pulling too hard

Firstly I tried it with an idler pulley to give twice the power and half the speed

A car battery mounted on the frame and I fitted an extra water bottle to lubricate the saw

Next I tried a direct pull and this was the best one for me

must keep knocking a wedge in so the board does not trap the saw

A lot easier than the manual version although my French neighbour was very pretty which seemed to make the job easier!