Job not going to plan advice please

ledders666

Thanks, well heres how it is up to date, ive got a mewp coming next weekend, to finish, im covering half the cost of the mewp as it was my mistake, and this still keeps me under the other quotes which there happy with, and i think im going to get some ply boards as well, cause that would suck if i break it now. ill let you know how i get on

That looks like a good compromised solution, well done.

Pics are now legally required.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We took a couple of trees down 3 weeks ago over an asbestos roofed building.

The branches were rubbing the sheets and actually went over the apex and ridge tiles.

We did most of the low stuff with the mewp, as you couldn't branch walk out putting any pressure on at all.

Set a high anchor and rigged the stuff up and away using the chipper to pull the other end of the rigging line.

Carved out all the gobs with multiple cuts to avoid any stray gobs falling, like Rich described.

Fair bit of pressure with these sort of jobs, as even a little stub, gob or bit of deadwood can crack a sheet.

I've detailed in quotes that I will do my best to not break fragile roofs BUT if they are fragile, I won't be held responsible for minor damage. If the client needs to replace a sheet of asbestos then i'll leave them to it. I take responsibility for overall structural damage of course, but you can't be expected to pay for old asbestos sheets that should have been replaced years ago.

ANd insurance is a waste of time as most excess payments are too high to make it worth claiming.

I've detailed in quotes that I will do my best to not break fragile roofs BUT if they are fragile, I won't be held responsible for minor damage. If the client needs to replace a sheet of asbestos then i'll leave them to it. I take responsibility for overall structural damage of course, but you can't be expected to pay for old asbestos sheets that should have been replaced years ago.

ANd insurance is a waste of time as most excess payments are too high to make it worth claiming.

If you break something in the course of a job you have to pay for it!

I'm sorry but you can't say on the one hand a quote is a fixed price and there's no changing it once you've given it...

.... but if you break something it's the customers problem :confused1:

If theres something really fragile looking that cant be moved or protected then I just tell the customer I will do my best but cant guarantee it wont be damaged. Its that or load the quote to death to cover myself.

Doesnt happen often mind and its usually things like trellis covered in climbers or pegola's rotted to death there but for the grace of God.

I know it sounds like a cop out but there are certain levels of risk not worth committing yourself to IMO.

Last one was were I said I would only do the job with a MEWP, its still never been done and that was 2ish years ago:001_smile:

them asbestos roofs are not all there cracked up to be. Neither are the boards. If the decrepid covering is gonna go it will...

Here is the result of a job I helped a mate out on last year. Grounding might I add... we were trying to put plywood on the roof to avoid any problems with a stray gob or similar. A combination of the snow, boards and knackered beams meant this happened. Me laid in the bottom... :thumbdown:

Good luck to you.

So you were walking on the roof :sneaky2::001_rolleyes: