Why are you not AAAC?

Andy Collins

Why are you not AAAC?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you not AAAC?

• Whats the AAAC?
    • Its just too expensive, not for the little companies
    • I would like to, but dont know where to start!
    • I dont need them to tell me how to do my job
    • I'm in the process of going for AAAC

Talking about a group of us. I think it was said earlier but its a good idea IMO that their could be an Approved Arborist scheme for freelance climbers? If someone who had said thing sent me a CV asking for a odd days work i would have no hesitation on taking them on as they in my eyes have been regulated by a body that i respect to be of a high standard. :thumbup:

Nooooooo....summat else for me to think about...aghhhhhhhh...ha!

Is that not an ISA Certified Arborist, perhaps with current AA membership, dunno?

Sorry, gotta dash as 'me n mi boys' are off to footie, we haven't played for about 5 weeks n rarin to go (bin up since 7am, all of us, mi wifes frantic...ha!)

Paul

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooooooo....summat else for me to think about...aghhhhhhhh...ha!

Is that not an ISA Certified Arborist, perhaps with current AA membership, dunno?

Sorry, gotta dash as 'me n mi boys' are off to footie, we haven't played for about 5 weeks n rarin to go (bin up since 7am, all of us, mi wifes frantic...ha!)

Paul

Could do, but i think a scheme like this that could then lead to freelances establishing a bigger company that would then strive to be a AAAC? If not they may just go down the ISA route and not even bother considering the AAAC??

I know the AAAC is given a lot of flak for being too expensive and drawn out but at least it's a starting point.

Could it perhaps be divided into 2 sections - one for companies that have 3 employees or less where everything is shortened/easier/cheaper. The other one is already in place for larger companies. So maybe you have AAAC class 1 and AAAC class 2?

You have to do NPTC as a basic these days could say the first AAAC (class 2?!) be talked about while you're doing these and seen as a natural thing to progress onto... Get the colleges that teach NPTC more involved? Perhaps have a minimum time of practice 'in the field' before you can do the first stage of AAAC?

I looked at the AAAC a few years ago but decided there was little in it for me as a small company - I had as much work as I could do and as joe public doesn't have a clue as to who the Arb Association is there seemed little point....

It would be good to have a benchmark in the industry for the profession as a whole to move forward and become recognised by the public.

As the AA at least have something already set up it seems natural they should lead the way. Amost like VHS dominated in the end with videos and now Blu Rays, if the AA could get something together that worked for 90% of tree workers it could then banish all the other schemes that crop up (and then die even faster) to become the main one that is recognised.

:001_rolleyes::biggrin:

There is always one that will take what you say as a negative! i have had injury from working with rouge traders, I wont take chances again. I know there are good firms out there, that are not AAAC. However, you just dont know what your getting, at least an AAAC firm you know isnt going to turn out to be the kind of boss that gives you the worst 12 months work of your life!:thumbdown:

Hmm.:sneaky2:

There is always one that will take what you say as a negative! i have had injury from working with rouge traders, I wont take chances again. I know there are good firms out there, that are not AAAC. However, you just dont know what your getting, at least an AAAC firm you know isnt going to turn out to be the kind of boss that gives you the worst 12 months work of your life!:thumbdown:

I'm not sure I see your logic, are you saying if my company was AAAC I become a good boss:001_huh:

I know the AAAC is given a lot of flak for being too expensive and drawn out but at least it's a starting point.

Could it perhaps be divided into 2 sections - one for companies that have 3 employees or less where everything is shortened/easier/cheaper. The other one is already in place for larger companies. So maybe you have AAAC class 1 and AAAC class 2?

You have to do NPTC as a basic these days could say the first AAAC (class 2?!) be talked about while you're doing these and seen as a natural thing to progress onto... Get the colleges that teach NPTC more involved? Perhaps have a minimum time of practice 'in the field' before you can do the first stage of AAAC?

I looked at the AAAC a few years ago but decided there was little in it for me as a small company - I had as much work as I could do and as joe public doesn't have a clue as to who the Arb Association is there seemed little point....

It would be good to have a benchmark in the industry for the profession as a whole to move forward and become recognised by the public.

As the AA at least have something already set up it seems natural they should lead the way. Amost like VHS dominated in the end with videos and now Blu Rays, if the AA could get something together that worked for 90% of tree workers it could then banish all the other schemes that crop up (and then die even faster) to become the main one that is recognised.

Nice idea rob ! my view is they wont swallow it as it would give the smaller firms a chance to quote on the same jobs as the other AA aproved contractorswho fork out all that cash and time and effort to stay approved..... To me its too much time and effort and money to become approved it has prevented me from getting on some jobs ,And some sub standard work i have seen has made me loose faith that there system does or could ever work.

Flash?

Could do, but i think a scheme like this that could then lead to freelances establishing a bigger company that would then strive to be a AAAC? If not they may just go down the ISA route and not even bother considering the AAAC??

HI Targettrees...tahnks for posting back.

Think I/we/the AA, need to get the AC scheme right first and then look at other 'access' options...is that okay? (SORRY, you've probably sussed that I'm just trying to 'buy time'...."c'mon man get ur finger owt!")

Very interesting thoughts tho and I wholly recognise much of the industry operates on a sub-contractor basis, i..e buying in a man/woman for a day, ...hmmm!

Thanks again.

Paul

Rob, thanks for your post...interesting stuff!

Just to let you know where 'mi thoughts' are at the moment if I may.

Several people have proposed differing levels/grades etc. of accreditation based on varying criteria and, I believe, the underlying 'common factor' is about accesibility to the scheme for smaller contractors, i.e. typically 'less than 5 employees' (including 'regular' freelancers) which sits very nicely with HSE requirements.

My 'BIG' concern is that, understandable, 'Class 1, Class 2 or Gold, Silver, of Level 1, Level 2' etc. etc. would be seen by the client as different skills/abilities, hence the top one would always be the best one, when it would be based on 'breadth of compliance areas'...or similar = MASS CONFUSION (potentially.)

I would much rather have one accreditaion, i.e. 'Approved Contractor', for all which would carry 'common' skills criteria, i.e. sectional felling/pruning/planting/arb knowledge etc., BUT which had a (much) lower level of documentary evidence requirement for H&S compliance, customer care systems, office procedures etc., the paper stuff!

Thereafter, to a large degree, it would be 'horses for courses' (very apt at the mo with Cheltenham...mine's still running!) in that the larger contracts (LAs etc.) requiring a greater financial basis and ISO 9001 etc. would be for the 'bigger companies' AND smaller jobs for the domestic consumers etc. the smaller firms where the larger company overheads would likely price them out.

Dunno (altho I believe the picture is getting clearer)...maybe I'm just too 'Betamax' molded?!...wots 'Blu-ray', kinda like 'Stingray?'

Cheers..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)