Heavy Oak Reduction.

John Hancock

Cheers guys :001_smile:

All things considered I think we’ve done the best job possible. The old girl has been host to inonotus for some considerable time (and weathered a fair few storms). I hope an inner crown will develop in the coming years and that will enable us to bring it down even further.

A few more odd pics....

Hi John,

Thanks for great 'pics', certainly makes me wish I had the chance to go back in time sometimes instead of being a 'pen pusher/keyboard basher', albeit very heavy pens & keyboards so my lats n biceps r still pretty good (NOT REALLY!) Just remind me there someone posted a while ago about good exercises for tree climbing, well IMO besides 'more' tree climbing, I always reckoned bent over rows for the left-hand 'lat' (as I'm right handed) was good....I did try 'chin ups' too but my torso was always disproportionate in weight to myarm/back strength (AKA 'fat b****rd' syndrome!)

Anyway, sorry, reason for posting...did you consider doing the veteran / 'coronet' / natural farcture cuts here at all? Only a thought that it may have helped to break up some of the harsh outline which is inevitable when doing such a heavy reduction. Purely an 'aesthetics' thing.

Cheers..

Paul

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul, yes it was considered but only for a few seconds. The estate is relatively new (brick houses, brick-paved driveways, even brick-inlayed roadways, all in all very modern and manicured. If there was some woodland or even a wildlife corridor close-by then maybe the coronet and fracture route would have fitted well, but not in this case.

If and when the upper crown dies back I may consider some cheeky pruning to create a ‘stag-headed’ effect but that’s many years to come.

We do have another interesting Oak (old pollard) coming up, which will receive the ‘coronet’ treatment as the setting is a little more ‘rural’.

I has a mess around on Photoshop the other evening and came up with this, see what you think…..

The pic is very cool (now on my desktop) but I prefer the original, in which the climber is dwarfed by the tree and not centre-stage. It's probably a matter of philosophical taste though :biggrin:

Edit: nice job keeping the tree in such a high target area btw :thumbup:

• 3 years later...
So then, a couple of years on here are a couple of pics of the oak tree.

Tree has put on a bit of growth and doesn't appear too stressed,

Not much change with the fruiting bodies at the base, but haven't done a detailed investigation.

No plans as yet for the next phase of pruning.....

Brill thanks for the follow up :thumbup:

Not much change with the fruiting bodies at the base, but haven't done a detailed investigation.

thickening up nicely, good update:thumbup1:

Thanks for taking the time to update :thumbup1:

(hope you don't mind me putting some of the thread shots together to show context?)

photo(9).jpg.c4d2a718fa664cb91213ea5b410052d2.jpg

59766777bb93d_oakw.jpg.f509fc6e83989bea6f4c0ed0f1e24046.jpg

59766777b9d40_oaki.jpg.027941be949653a4c3f0ec86db29ffed.jpg