ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

2 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Did you see the Malinois in John Wick 3?

Amazing dogs.

A friend of mine back in the UK has just got a trained Mailnois as a family protection dog.  PBK9 Protection dogs.  They have documented the stages of the dogs training  Instagram.

No I haven't but seen vids of the US Special Forces parachuting in with one strapped to them. Very single minded buggers but by Christ they're hot stuff. Wouldn't want one on my tail!  Daren't show this sort of activity to my wife, she'd faint I think! They're bigger than her.

Got a call yesterday from my mate at the scrap yard. He went to a breeder of Malinois in the Dordogne who had two bitches that were going to be put down if nobody wanted them for free. One was 10 weeks old but had a bad reaction to her puppy jab, causing her to lose control over her hind legs, hopefully only temporarily. He's been given the tablets to control the symptoms.  The other bitch is 13 months old but has got "bat ears" so is not wanted for breeding. She's been spayed before getting rid of. Both have paperwork. He wants me to have the 13 month old one, lovely calm temperament,  very obedient, she lived in a cage in the kennel area but seems to have adapted to life inside although it's only been 48 hours since he got them. Only problem is my wife is frightened by big dogs, wants a yorkie of all things! Heart breaking to think these two dogs would have been destroyed. Pup is one on the couch in the photos.

received_2643151009040842.thumb.jpeg.99e36362fd01e988a7644c88b495e828.jpeg

20191101_085006.thumb.jpg.240a2785b8a213ea420ba1483b324748.jpg

I didn’t quite follow that David. Have you taken both of them on?

No, it's my mate whose taken them to save them being destroyed.  He's just sent this photo of the 13 month old bitch. Look at the ears!
received_716734115459461.thumb.jpeg.66ea2c6b86ba31bfa73444efd9f50c87.jpeg

Got it. My mum’s Alsatian had ears like that but they sorted themselves out a fair bit before thirteen months. Maybe they’ll sort themselves out still. Nice looking dog anyway.

Just now, AHPP said:

Got it. My mum’s Alsatian had ears like that but they sorted themselves out a fair bit before thirteen months. Maybe they’ll sort themselves out still. Nice looking dog anyway.

My mates said she's a real lady, very nice attitude,  not a bit malicious.  He's going to turn up at my place with both of them , hopefully my wife will change her mind about them! 

My mates said she's a real lady, very nice attitude,  not a bit malicious.  He's going to turn up at my place with both of them , hopefully my wife will change her mind about them! 

Mum’s mum had three Alsatians, mum’s got one now and I’ve known several others so if I had to pick a breed for life, it would have to be an Alsatian. That said, I’m curious about other similar breeds, Belgian Shepherds, Malinois and maybe Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I was even open to Rottweilers for a while but I like the wolfy ones more.

3 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Mum’s mum had three Alsatians, mum’s got one now and I’ve known several others so if I had to pick a breed for life, it would have to be an Alsatian. That said, I’m curious about other similar breeds, Belgian Shepherds, Malinois and maybe Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I was even open to Rottweilers for a while but I like the wolfy ones more.

I've had Alsatians before, love them, totally different to Malinois, first one was my Army guard dog. Second one, still in Army but my own dog.I found some old photos, I weighed less than the dog then plus I had hair and teeth. Less than 10 stone, a bit bigger now. 1969 in Omagh Northern Ireland and 1974 Bovington.

20180929_185103.jpg

148729_1560498247012_592876_n.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AHPP said:

The second one looks a big lad!
Would I be right in saying Malinois need to be worked more to keep them sane? I’ve found Alsatians pretty easy to please.

Yes, Malinois do need to be active all the time. Totally different outlook than Alsatians. My mate who has taken the two Malinois also has a two year old dog. He's got to be on the go all the time, very hard work to keep him occupied. When he's in training he's a joy to be with because his mind is kept busy. When he in kennel he's constantly on the move, gets stir crazy.