ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

Sounds familiar David. When I'm off my food it's "have some toast then", but the dogs would get an afternoon spent cooking chicken and rice, or some diced liver to interest them. Ironically it's the stink of liver cooking in the house that would probably put me off my food in the first place!

How is Charlie getting on?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Sounds familiar David. When I'm off my food it's "have some toast then", but the dogs would get an afternoon spent cooking chicken and rice, or some diced liver to interest them. Ironically it's the stink of liver cooking in the house that would probably put me off my food in the first place!

How is Charlie getting on?

Still the same Doug. We took him for a ride this morning, parked next to a river in the car park, got him out, no lead as he is good without one, didn't like it as it was a strange place, then trotted back to the car. He'll never change hit that's ok with us. It on my morning walk he meets another dog, he's not got a problem with the owner, he knows that they are ok. If he meets someone on their own, he doesn't feel safe. All I can think of is getting another dog for him bit that's not really feasible. My wife is still not confident with dogs apart from Charlie. He's lying on my feet at the moment, I can't move, fat sod. That's the dog, not me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

This is my position in the pecking order. Wednesday I packed in at 1230 for my grub. Gets in the van,  reaches for the Tupperware box holding my sandwiches, to find I'd picked up out of the fridge a similar box with last night's leftover cooked cauliflower stalks and a couple of small florets my wife saves to mix into the dogs dinner. When I rang her to say I'd no grub bar two tiny floretes, she was most concerned that Charlie didn't have any veg! Bleeding marvellous! 

Yep back of the que for you David,you know your place now😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Still the same Doug. We took him for a ride this morning, parked next to a river in the car park, got him out, no lead as he is good without one, didn't like it as it was a strange place, then trotted back to the car. He'll never change hit that's ok with us. It on my morning walk he meets another dog, he's not got a problem with the owner, he knows that they are ok. If he meets someone on their own, he doesn't feel safe. All I can think of is getting another dog for him bit that's not really feasible. My wife is still not confident with dogs apart from Charlie. He's lying on my feet at the moment, I can't move, fat sod. That's the dog, not me.

I get what the thinking is with another dog to give him confidence, but rather than another dog to help him, perhaps you could channel your inner dog to replicate that...

My perception of your river walk this morning is that you arrive at a new place, get out the car and then linger around to let him familiarise himself. As he's not confident though, I imagine that you lingering around looks like caution/indecision by the pack leader which would reinforce his worries. And when he decides you need to get to safety and heads for the car, you follow him back which tells him the whole pack thinks he's right.

In my opinion a nervous dog needs to see a pack and leader that are trustworthy and confident. If you get out the car at a new place, try popping him on the lead and instantly make progress, a decent pace with your chest out and head high like you own the place might help his mindset.

Edited by Doug Tait
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@David Cropper

jan fennell books https://g.co/kgs/BPzoXH

If you're interested then I rate The Dog Listener and The Practical Dog Listener from the author linked above. She brings a lot of clarity to the subject, very helpful to understand how a dog can see "human" behaviour very differently to how it's intended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am devasted to announce that today we had to put Katie to sleep.

9 months after developing endocarditis, she quite suddenly went downhill, developing arrhythmia to go with her heart failure. 
Letting her go was the very hardest thing I've had to do. I'm absolutely distraught. 

Those of you that knew her will know that she was truly a one in a million dog. The perfect balance of complete idiot and loyal and devoted companion. She would do anything, go anywhere and got on with everyone and everything. Apart from cats of course, of which she had a terrified fascination!

We took her to the top of munros, swimming across lochs, on boat trips to seal watch and she was my constant companion at work for nearly 11 years. She was never a liability, always friendly to everyone and never barked or showed any aggression. 

She had an tireless fascination with small furry things on four legs. We had guinea pigs for a long time, and in all honesty they were her pets. She'd watch them (or their run) for hours without breaking concentration. Never any intent to harm them though - they broke out more than once and Katie didn't touch them.

She's always been there as part of our family and adapted seamlessly when our older daughter arrived nearly 8 years ago. It was infact at Katie that Hanna first properly laughed. 

The girls have been really attentive through her illness and will no doubt miss her terribly.

Katie was truly irreplaceable. 

572513226_Katieandherbelovedbasketball.thumb.png.dfcc05436b3f36f312351d6c5fcf7264.png773011465_KatieinAviemore.thumb.jpg.f1550af654a57425f65d0bead78892f2.jpg2125469913_KatieintheCulm.thumb.jpg.85760f84da9cdd531c1c2c83ab0365e1.jpg52661248_Katieonamunro.thumb.jpg.4a3635b5bcad1c8d89bf7494ecd24976.jpg857449540_Katieplayingmonopoly.thumb.png.859d83146098124e811a045450457006.png1128824098_Katiesequoia.jpg.4619c722bcac7fae3055f0acfc9b61c8.jpg1928623725_Katieswimminginthesea.thumb.jpg.eb48c592ab02e652579c8cb2627d4a46.jpg298794279_KatieTouareg.thumb.jpg.f371ce4061c58484def3309e1087273d.jpg695600964_Katieupsidedown.thumb.png.6ce876f1e5f11ab4ade9ae498609c24f.png2091875684_KatieandAlice.thumb.png.9b4f58d9da225a35f50944cc3cdeae7f.png 

Edited by Big J
  • Like 2
  • Sad 18