ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

Santi has been feeling the heat lately, he's really a cold weather dog. Nothing better than a dip in the river to cool off.

DSC_0695.thumb.JPG.6077ed847804cfec32ca770165ce171c.JPG

He's not fond of heights though. Takes him a while to creep over a bridge and he needs the encouragement and support of the pack to be brave enough. He looks so proud when he gets over and worth it to get in the river.

DSC_0638.thumb.JPG.40dd285b7f4473ceba5cf1dfe125d402.JPG

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Santi has been feeling the heat lately, he's really a cold weather dog. Nothing better than a dip in the river to cool off.

DSC_0695.thumb.JPG.6077ed847804cfec32ca770165ce171c.JPG

He's not fond of heights though. Takes him a while to creep over a bridge and he needs the encouragement and support of the pack to be brave enough. He looks so proud when he gets over and worth it to get in the river.

DSC_0638.thumb.JPG.40dd285b7f4473ceba5cf1dfe125d402.JPG

He looks like he’s walking on hot coals Doug.What breed is he?

3 minutes ago, gary112 said:

He looks like he’s walking on hot coals Doug.What breed is he?

He's a Kelpie, Australian Collie. Never used to be bothered by bridges but as he gets older he's becoming less confident. He now crosses them in slow motion, every footstep placed carefully. Sometimes he freezes in the middle so I stand beside him and he lays his head against my leg and we creep over together, then the final few metres he bolts for the end and barks with excitement that he survived it.

• Like 14

My 11 year old collie Katie is very sick at the moment. 

On Sunday, she was just was fit as normal, racing up and down a steep hill on Exmoor. Monday, she seemed a little tired, and only had breakfast (didn't touch dinner). That's not entirely unusual because she's a fussy eater and in repairing the forwarder on Monday, we didn't do much mileage, which usually dictates her appetite.

Monday evening I did notice that she was just a little bit jittery, which concerned me a little. Tuesday morning, her breathing was rather shallow, rapid and raspy. So we took her to the vets in Minehead (where I'm presently working) and they've had her since then.

She had a pretty epic fever on arrival (40.8c) which was brought down over 24hrs. She's had a little bit of food, brought it back up again but kept the latest batch down. She's had blood tests and X-rays and the vets are fairly sure it's endocarditis. She has a heart murmur, enlarged heart and apparent bacterial growth in her heart. She doesn't appear to be in any pain though and being a wonderful dog, has been entirely cooperative throughout all the testing and treatment (hasn't even needed sedation for the x-rays). 

The prognosis is uncertain at this stage, but isn't brilliant. If they can get the heart infection under control, it's likely she'll have at least some scarring. If they can't, then it's the end of the road. 

I've been getting regular updates from the vets (2-3 times a day) and after a long conversation with my wife after a long conversation with the vet (where I just about held it together), I'll admit that I found myself in the strange position of sitting half way up a hill in the forwarder, weeping. You spend 10 years with your dog, each and every day, watch your children grow up with them and even the notion of losing them wrecks you.

I really, really hope that this isn't it for her. She's been doing 50-150 miles a week of running with the machine all year and was until the weekend as fit as a flea. Maybe if she was a little older it would be easier to accept but she's only 11.

She's in the best place she can be now. The veterinary team seem to be really caring and attentive, and I'm hoping tomorrow brings some better news.

No description available.

• Sad 10

9 minutes ago, Big J said:

On Sunday, she was just was fit as normal, racing up and down a steep hill on Exmoor. Monday, she seemed a little tired, and only had breakfast (didn't touch dinner). That's not entirely unusual because she's a fussy eater and in repairing the forwarder on Monday, we didn't do much mileage, which usually dictates her appetite.

Monday evening I did notice that she was just a little bit jittery, which concerned me a little. Tuesday morning, her breathing was rather shallow, rapid and raspy. So we took her to the vets in Minehead (where I'm presently working) and they've had her since then.

She had a pretty epic fever on arrival (40.8c) which was brought down over 24hrs. She's had a little bit of food, brought it back up again but kept the latest batch down. She's had blood tests and X-rays and the vets are fairly sure it's endocarditis. She has a heart murmur, enlarged heart and apparent bacterial growth in her heart. She doesn't appear to be in any pain though and being a wonderful dog, has been entirely cooperative throughout all the testing and treatment (hasn't even needed sedation for the x-rays). 

The prognosis is uncertain at this stage, but isn't brilliant. If they can get the heart infection under control, it's likely she'll have at least some scarring. If they can't, then it's the end of the road. 

I've been getting regular updates from the vets (2-3 times a day) and after a long conversation with my wife after a long conversation with the vet (where I just about held it together), I'll admit that I found myself in the strange position of sitting half way up a hill in the forwarder, weeping. You spend 10 years with your dog, each and every day, watch your children grow up with them and even the notion of losing them wrecks you.

I really, really hope that this isn't it for her. She's been doing 50-150 miles a week of running with the machine all year and was until the weekend as fit as a flea. Maybe if she was a little older it would be easier to accept but she's only 11.

She's in the best place she can be now. The veterinary team seem to be really caring and attentive, and I'm hoping tomorrow brings some better news.

Sorry to hear this J. Hoping the best for you and Katie, she looks like a great dog and very fit. Good luck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Big J said:

I have everything crossed for you both here Jonathan .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1