ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

Finally got a dog the wife likes. Got him from the local Rescue near Angouleme 8 weeks ago. Charlie, the Continental Bulldog,  look up the breed on Wikipedia,  I had to. He was 18 months old when we collected him, spent 12 months locked up and with the lockdown due to Corvid 19, dog walking volunteers weren't allowed in kennels. He's obviously been battered before, took me 4 days to get him in the house bribing him with food. He slept on the terrace under a table, frightened of everything and everyone. We had to telegraph every move before we made it otherwise he was down on his belly terrified. Took 7 days to get him in the sitting room, again bribing with treats, after 30 minutes he made himself at home. It's been a long struggle as every dog I've had or worked with as been confident, he didn't even know how to play,  he was like a battery chicken when they are released for the first time. Not a clue what to he's supposed to do, we've had to show so much patience and love to him to get him normalised. I have to walk him when nobody else is about otherwise he panics. Lovely little dog.  I'd love to meet the bastard who had him before.

received_959352307865645.jpeg

received_4037761106250490.jpeg

received_1357929797930952.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

Finally got a dog the wife likes. Got him from the local Rescue near Angouleme 8 weeks ago. Charlie, the Continental Bulldog,  look up the breed on Wikipedia,  I had to. He was 18 months old when we collected him, spent 12 months locked up and with the lockdown due to Corvid 19, dog walking volunteers weren't allowed in kennels. He's obviously been battered before, took me 4 days to get him in the house bribing him with food. He slept on the terrace under a table, frightened of everything and everyone. We had to telegraph every move before we made it otherwise he was down on his belly terrified. Took 7 days to get him in the sitting room, again bribing with treats, after 30 minutes he made himself at home. It's been a long struggle as every dog I've had or worked with as been confident, he didn't even know how to play,  he was like a battery chicken when they are released for the first time. Not a clue what to he's supposed to do, we've had to show so much patience and love to him to get him normalised. I have to walk him when nobody else is about otherwise he panics. Lovely little dog.  I'd love to meet the bastard who had him before.

received_959352307865645.jpeg

received_4037761106250490.jpeg

received_1357929797930952.jpeg

Well done with your patients and hard work helping him . I wish you , and him continieued success . Count me in if you ever find the clunt who made him like he is .....

• Like 1

Thanks. He's hard work but worth it. 

Looks like you got your hands full for a while again David, good on you for giving him a shot at a good life i say and treasure him. I’ve just lost mine a week ago, gutted. Theyre not around for long enough!!!

22 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Looks like you got your hands full for a while again David, good on you for giving him a shot at a good life i say and treasure him. I’ve just lost mine a week ago, gutted. Theyre not around for long enough!!!

Sorry to hear that Ratty, it's a bugger. And people say "It's only a dog."

Poor thing! They want rodding with a cactus sideways for treating animals like they do! Boils my piss, no one forces ya to have em or take em on, better off not doing if all your gona do is give them missery!
Glad your making progress with him, sometimes they can be too far gone for rehabilitating ands very sad if it gets that far. Keep us all posted [emoji106]

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Poor thing! They want rodding with a cactus sideways for treating animals like they do! Boils my piss, no one forces ya to have em or take em on, better off not doing if all your gona do is give them missery!
Glad your making progress with him, sometimes they can be too far gone for rehabilitating ands very sad if it gets that far. Keep us all posted emoji106.png

He's definitely getting better, but anything he doesn't recognise he flaps. After 10 days I had to get the grinder off the van, he's about 5 metres away. I thought he'd panic, I let him know something was going to happen, started the machine up, so good so far, got it down the ramps, still ok,  engaged the cutter wheel,  still not a problem. It's trying to work out what fires him off in panic mode. He won't go into any room in the house unless he's been introduced to it first. He's never barked or growled in the 8 weeks we've had him. I suspect the previous owner fitted him with an anti barking collar which shocks them after a couple of barks. I also think the rescue centre haven't given us the full story about him. What ever problems he has, he's staying put with us. Next job is getting him in the car or van, he'll never be able to go to work with me which is a shame. Just a case of accepting him as he is. I've even cancelled a 3 day Xmas break in a Chateau as we can't take him or leave him with someone. That's the price you have to pay. We're happy enough about that.

• Like 6