ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

Zues. Rescue we picked up about 2 months ago. 10 months old in that pic. A bit of an asshole. Attacks anything on four legs and small humans shorter than around 3ft. Requires a lot of work but he is improving. 

20191122_181455.thumb.jpg.7d1574c9eb1c0c8fc7d0a5f366f41e4e.jpg

Our boy is good with most low energy dogs, does not like spaniels or border collies i think they emit that thing that says something is about to happen! same with kids, high energy and he goes nuts, he is only two and they grow / fill out till 5 yrs, hoping he will chill ?

5 minutes ago, Bustergasket said:

Our boy is good with most low energy dogs, does not like spaniels or border collies i think they emit that thing that says something is about to happen! same with kids, high energy and he goes nuts, he is only two and they grow / fill out till 5 yrs, hoping he will chill ?

Yeah it's a worry. I wanna take my dog to work with me like my old dog used to but he's a total shit head. Where he's so big people get really scared. He's soft as anything with us and frankly a bloody coward but he goes ballistic with other dogs. Used to go for horses and cows too but that has stopped. He's 40kg at 11 months so for a Shepherd he's going to be huge. Praying to god he chills out cos I'm the only one who can walk him due to his behaviour and I've got the least time. 

Yeah it's a worry. I wanna take my dog to work with me like my old dog used to but he's a total shit head. Where he's so big people get really scared. He's soft as anything with us and frankly a bloody coward but he goes ballistic with other dogs. Used to go for horses and cows too but that has stopped. He's 40kg at 11 months so for a Shepherd he's going to be huge. Praying to god he chills out cos I'm the only one who can walk him due to his behaviour and I've got the least time. 

Have you tried a dogmatic head collar ? our boy took to it straight away and it turned him into a baby on the lead this is him a year ago, IMG_4388.jpg

I found this old photo from nearly 40 years ago. Pansy, the English Mastiff lying next to her pal, Eric the white rabbit,  who by the way thought he was a dog. My Jack Russel is out of shot, but him and Eric got on well. Eric had to go when I bought a whippet greyhound pup. One day Eric was reclining in his hutch, Sabre the pup saw Eric, didn't realise Eric was another dog, dived onto Eric who by now was thoroughly confused why he was been bullied. I gave him to a pal of mine but a fox took poor old Eric. Not often you hear of a fox killing a dog.

20191223_112402.jpg

• Like 6

I found this old photo from nearly 40 years ago. Pansy, the English Mastiff lying next to her pal, Eric the white rabbit,  who by the way thought he was a dog. My Jack Russel is out of shot, but him and Eric got on well. Eric had to go when I bought a whippet greyhound pup. One day Eric was reclining in his hutch, Sabre the pup saw Eric, didn't realise Eric was another dog, dived onto Eric who by now was thoroughly confused why he was been bullied. I gave him to a pal of mine but a fox took poor old Eric. Not often you hear of a fox killing a dog.
20191223_112402.thumb.jpg.58ba8b2b49411b18cfccfa8a3db21bbf.jpg
Lovely pic my mrs wants a English mastiff to go with our Bordeaux but we just don't have room for more [emoji849] as much as I would love one to

19 minutes ago, Bustergasket said:

Have you tried a dogmatic head collar ? our boy took to it straight away and it turned him into a baby on the lead this is him a year ago, IMG_4388.jpg

Spent a lot of time over Xmas training him to walk on the lead so he's pretty good on the lead. But yeah I have seen them and am interested cos he's always half a foot in front of me which wouldn't normally bother me but while he's in front he's the one making decisions and his decision making leads to violence so the fucker needs to be right next to me if you catch my drift. 

15 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

Lovely pic my mrs wants a English mastiff to go with our Bordeaux but we just don't have room for more emoji849.png as much as I would love one to

She was an absolute cracker of a dog. Her best moment was just before my daughter's friends arrived for her birthday party. Birthday cake left on kitchen table, Pansy in kitchen decided this was too good to miss,  cake on floor and around Pansy's mug, wife not happy, daughter in hysterics, friends thought it was part of the entertainment. One of the best dogs I've had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Spent a lot of time over Xmas training him to walk on the lead so he's pretty good on the lead. But yeah I have seen them and am interested cos he's always half a foot in front of me which wouldn't normally bother me but while he's in front he's the one making decisions and his decision making leads to violence so the fucker needs to be right next to me if you catch my drift. 

To keep the Army guard dogs I worked with at heel we held the lead in the right hand, across the body. Tug the lead which will bring the dog into your knee, tell him to heel, or what ever command you use, if after three times he isn't responding,  stick your knee out, let the lead go slack then yank him in hard onto your knee. Usually works and reminds him who's the boss. Works well with Alsatians, don't try it with Dobermans, after the first time, he'll give you The Look, second time he'll be chewing your arm. I don't know what the temperament of your dog is, make him know that he's the dog and your his boss. Firm but fair.  It works for my wife, I do what she says, or I get the knee.

Edited by David Cropper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2