ArbDogs? Pics!

Burnham

IMG_3824.thumb.jpg.2dccdf9db5fc71951e85b299ccf7230d.jpg This is a pic of his dad, the youngster is a good boy, just started to find his feet, barking at delivery people, mrs introduced him to the postman, that when we found out the old boy had been having two treats a day for the past 8 years! this one is not so food oriented, he has been sick today all over the place, probably something he has sniffed, licked or eaten, hopefully he will pick up tomorrow, this was at the weekend IMG_3835.thumb.jpg.ce40a56f533125b347d3f22bc64596c7.jpg

10 years for a Bernese is a good stretch in fairness, he must have had a soft life to get that far. There’s a local lad near me in West Cork has brought in a pair of the Tibetans last year, will be breeding them next year. I’m very tempted, could do with a big male dog around the yard again after the last fella got knocked down....
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, huskykev said:

10 years for a Bernese is a good stretch in fairness, he must have had a soft life to get that far. There’s a local lad near me in West Cork has brought in a pair of the Tibetans last year, will be breeding them next year. I’m very tempted, could do with a big male dog around the yard again after the last fella got knocked down....

There was a nice central Asian ovcharka crossed with a st Bernard for sale around longford not so long ago.. big fella. was tempted myself but not in a position to accomodate him at the moment!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your fella got knocked down, very sad.
Yes 10 is good, he dodged the bullet so many times, cancer at 4, lumps of at 7, crutiate ligament issues from 8 onwards, also lost his bernese bitch girlfriend over xmas, she only made 5, the TM,s seem to have not had the interbreeding so much yet, they reckon can go to 16, he is a good watch, iam sure as he finds his feet he will make more noise, had a couple of mates helping out today on the wood, i think he gets the measure of people very quickly, have seen him give people a split second wild eye look, in conjunction with a body twitch like he is going to play, but it’s gone as quick as it arrived, its unsettling as you are left thinking what was that all about, he is just sizing them up i think just gauging the reaction, it’s taken me a week to work it out, and he does it with people we have invited in, he has not done this anywhere but on the farm, he is still young, he had a half hour session with me on the second night and since then has been a different dog, i believe in not using any violence or aggression towards them i think the dog is like a mirror, iam glad i have had a few big dogs before and feel those guys trained me well enough to do the job with this one, both myself and Mrs both agreed we could not have dealt with this one if he was the first big dog, probably different if we had him from a puppy though in fairness, you should go and meet your man in cork and have a look, iam impressed in many ways with this one, hope this helps[emoji106]
  • Like 2

I am looking for another smooth haired Bastard Mastiff Dog, the last one Max, had had a Neopolitan sire and a Banddog mother, as healthy as a trout, and with a wonderful calm demeanor, though woe betide any dog that got in his face, on his patch. But any violence was strictly business and did not in the least affect his temperament towards humans.

Hybrid vigour is everything, stuff these sickley short lived sib-bred/line-bred pedigrees.

Marcus