How do they get away with it

johnty

Hi guy's and girls, need to get this off my chest

As the thread says, how do other companys get away with it. There are a few companys in my area, that dont opperate to the rules, i.e. groundies not having C/S38, no waste carries licence and so on and so on.

I pride myself and my company on me and my guys having the correct qualls, following the H&S guidlines, making sure all the ticks are in the right box, leaving no stone unturned, making sure risk assessments are written up and followed. ect.

Why is thre no sort of governing body that makes sure that all these things are in place before a company can start carrying out tree work and also carries out spot checks to see that they still are working to a good standard.

As you all know all these things cost money, and it p--ses me off seeing companys cutting corners just to make a quick book, with un quallified staff and a casual approach to the industry.:sneaky2:

Is there anything we can do ?

Sorry if sound like im ranting and raving:angry:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Johnty,

You could try contacting your local HSE (Health & Safety Executive) office, probably Exeter, if you observe any serious regulatory breaches / unsafe working practices and if you've got your camera at the ready that might help to back up your claims.

That said they are massively underfunded and under resourced so to be quite honest you'll be very (very) lucky to get a response from them, let alone a visit to site. They're much more about promoting, rather than enforcing, compliance these days and spend a lot of time educating prospective clients on their responsibilities and what to expect from competent contractors.

I know it's a huge frustration (and worse) but you must take reassurance that your actions are those of a responsible arborist/emloyer and you can sleep well at nights with a clear conscience...as hard as it may be!

Sorry no magic answers I'm afraid but sure just about everyone reading your posting will be wholly sympathetic to the cause.

Keep up the good (and safe) work..!

cheers..

Paul

You can spend your whole life worrying about this, nothing will change it. No amount of policing, legislation or H&S visits can alter it. As the economy tightens, people will cut corners and employ the cheaper, less qualified, less "approved" types in order to cut costs. All you'll do is end up with tight knots in your stomach and sleepless nights, acid rising in your chest making you feel terrible. Concentrate on your business, your family and try not to let it get at you. It'll not go away, but you'll be feeling better not fretting.:001_smile:

Well as it stands there's nothing really out there to stop them doing it.

This has come up time and again in other threads......

My opinion is they should bring in a liscence scheme for tree work with each person proving each year that them and empoyees are qualified (NPTC) and insured. It won't get rid of all bad practice but at least it would draw a line somewhere and be more straight forward to organise.

Just my opinion though... :001_rolleyes:

A lot of it isn't illegal, mate.

I try educating the public as much as I can, but all too often the cheapest price is king.

It's not a legal reqirement to have PL insurance and CS units!

I know exactly how you feel, it's not a level playing field out there.

Mark, as you quite rightly point out it's not a legal requirement to have PL insurance but EL (Employers Liability) is, if of course they have staff 'on the books' (unlikely). AND CS units are....PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment) Regs.1998 Reg 9 - Competence (see HSE Chainsaws at Work top p.3 http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf) requires a 'certificate of competence' over anad above the requirement for 'adequate training' its the 'enforcement' of this by HSE that doesn't happen AND the 'awareness' of it as a legal requirement by clients engaging tree surgeons.

Paul

You can spend your whole life worrying about this, nothing will change it. No amount of policing, legislation or H&S visits can alter it. As the economy tightens, people will cut corners and employ the cheaper, less qualified, less "approved" types in order to cut costs. All you'll do is end up with tight knots in your stomach and sleepless nights, acid rising in your chest making you feel terrible. Concentrate on your business, your family and try not to let it get at you. It'll not go away, but you'll be feeling better not fretting.:001_smile:

As Andy says, as long as YOUR happy with what you do why bother about anyone else, i have been there and now moved on, im not bothered if i see gardeners, travelers or who ever up ladders topping trees and leaving tears etc, it shows how little value the put on there health and reputation and i value mine so do things as best as possible. There are people who take short cuts in every industry, plenty of rogue gas men with the corgi sighs on the side of there van etc. Dont worry about them, worry about YOU because your better than them!:thumbup1:

My opinion is they should bring in a liscence scheme for tree work with each person proving each year that them and empoyees are qualified (NPTC) and insured. It won't get rid of all bad practice but at least it would draw a line somewhere and be more straight forward to organise.

I agree rob, like with gas engineers have to be gas tested or corgi and electricians are part p, a licence to drive a car etc,etc.

But there will always be people who want a cheap job and dont care about qualifacations. sad but true mate.