How much should you pay?

Czlowiek Drzewo

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, thats wrong understanding of the word risk!! Another confusion.

"risk" in self employed terms means financial, not risk of damage to property which therefore needs insurance!!

Your right about what the HRMC say about insurance and bona fide subcontractors, but like you say you don't have to have it.

So you can be a BSC without insurance, and conversly having insurance does not make you genuinly self employed. It is perfectly plausable to define your self as self employed or BSC without giving money away to insurance companies!

I was basically lifting things from a HMRC pamphlet, the PLI helps to show the taxman that you are accepting risk reponsibility, along with many other factors. Being able to show that you also accept the financial risk is, as you say, also important. Its a combination of several factors that make a person genuinely s/emp.

There were a lot less of us then.

Maybe, but the cost of living was much lower too.

Employers who ask what an employee wants are hedging their bets and hoping the employee will come up with a figure lower than what they are willing to pay. Why not just say what you, as an employer, are willing to pay and if the employee isnt happy with it they will either say its too low or decline the offer of work :confused1:

It also think its dependant of location, house prices are lower in some parts of the country than others (the girlfriend is struggling to sell her 3 bed, detached house in mid-wales for £174k, whilst you will need at least £250k for a 3 bed semi in Surrey) food and fuel prices vary depending on where you live too.

In short, its not a one size fits all wage structure, and it never will be.

Edited by Bomag
spelling and grammer!!

Im on 25 a day as I would say an experienced groundie 2 years ish?

but without tickets (booked for next week)

make of this what you will.

What planet am I on? I've caused ructions before and seemingly will do again! The above is illegal in that it is below the Nat. Min. Wage is it not??? Tell me the employer and I'd burn his house down.

Next, how the HELL do you lot get away with these rates of pay? I must be in some sort of wierd bubble and need educating - please fill me in...

I can't get a groundy for less than £100 a day, typically £120 and this is a dogs body not someone good on the ropes etc (on one very rare occasion I had a guy on a log splitter for £60 a day but it clearly riled both him and others to see me paying him "so little".

A climber on less than £100 a day? I just don't get it:confused1: I simply can't get a subbie climber for less than £120 a day and have been known to pay £250 plus a day ??????????????????????????

What on earth has gone wrong with my figures?

:confused1:

But then I passed an Esso garage in a dank corner of cornwall yesterday and diesel was 137.9 per litre...

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Why not just say what you, as an employer, are willing to pay and if the employee isnt happy with it they will either say its too low or decline the offer of work :confused1:

Because as has already been posted, if the wage is not as high as the employee wants they may still take the job, but will look for something better and leave, which is a waste of the employers time.

Edited by skyhuck

Not if he is under 18 (I think it is) or in training.

But the OP said he was an experienced groundie with 2+ years experience, this doesnt strike me as being in training or being under 18, but I could well be wrong.