climber killed

greenpaint

Horrendous to hear of any climber loosing their life.

I hope you guys don't mind me suggesting something that might help in an instance like this, during an aerial rescue it can be difficult to get anyone out of the tree this is especially hard when the climber is using a steel core strop and Karibiners as if unconceous his weight makes it hard to release the kit.

A new 22KN CE marked "cut away" strop is now available to place between your cam device and your belt Karibiner. If a rescue is ever needed rescuers can quickly cut this through allowing you to be carefully lowered to the ground. If you think this is a good idea ask at your local supplier or come back to me and I will put you on to someone who can get them for you.

Climb clever, climb safe guys.

Nick

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horrendous to hear of any climber loosing their life.

I hope you guys don't mind me suggesting something that might help in an instance like this, during an aerial rescue it can be difficult to get anyone out of the tree this is especially hard when the climber is using a steel core strop and Karibiners as if unconceous his weight makes it hard to release the kit.

A new 22KN CE marked "cut away" strop is now available to place between your cam device and your belt Karibiner. If a rescue is ever needed rescuers can quickly cut this through allowing you to be carefully lowered to the ground. If you think this is a good idea ask at your local supplier or come back to me and I will put you on to someone who can get them for you.

Climb clever, climb safe guys.

Nick

Terible news this.

And in reply to Nick

Just use a petzl quickdraw, available at any climbing shop. I thought it was an H&S requirement to have a cuttable section anyway, I always have and every one that climbs for me has too.

I feel so sorry for the guys family and for the other staff that will have been around him when it happened, thats going to really mess them up for a long time,

BBC have updated their info, sounds like the saw kick-backed, I suspect it will make us all a bit more wary again, i know it will me

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7306950.stm

Terible news this.

And in reply to Nick

Just use a petzl quickdraw, available at any climbing shop. I thought it was an H&S requirement to have a cuttable section anyway, I always have and every one that climbs for me has too.

I have already said how shocking this news was and my condolences also, this is a reply to Tom & Nick. You are correct it is now a requirement of H&S to have a cut away section on your steel core line and I always have on mine, I would also like to say that we set up a rescue line close to where the climber is so if anything ever happened at least the groundy has a better chance of getting up there quicker. I know it might never make the difference but I always think you have got to give anything a try if it will save someone's life. I am in no way implying that in the tragic death of this young man nothing was done to try and save him, I am just letting people know how we set up our rescue's.