climber killed

greenpaint

This appears to be one of the worst and most horrific cases that I have come across in a long career. My sincerest thoughts and wishes go to Scott's wife, family, his friends and his work mates who I know must be finding life currently very difficult.

I have read all postings with interest and must comment on the amazing camaraderie that you guys and gals show for each other. As I have said before you climbers worldwide are an amazing bunch, please all take extra care and God bless you.

Colin Bashford

ISA Vice President.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already said how shocking this news was and my condolences also, this is a reply to Tom & Nick. You are correct it is now a requirement of H&S to have a cut away section on your steel core line and I always have on mine, I would also like to say that we set up a rescue line close to where the climber is so if anything ever happened at least the groundy has a better chance of getting up there quicker. I know it might never make the difference but I always think you have got to give anything a try if it will save someone's life. I am in no way implying that in the tragic death of this young man nothing was done to try and save him, I am just letting people know how we set up our rescue's.

Tom & Brownie,

Great advice guys anything that can help save a climber has to be a good thing.

I know this might sound a bit gruesome but I have always told my work mate that in the event of a chainsaw accident it is sometimes impossible to stem the bleeding, I told him if it ever happened to either one of us, I would expect him to put his fingers into the wound and clamp the vain to stop the bleeding and if it meant saving my best mates life then that’s what I would do. We are both full first aid qualified and I know from experience how hard it is to stem blood flow just using big padded bandages, I touched my leg with a chain saw back in the 80’s it was not a bad cut but I could not stop the blood I had to use the heel of my right foot and pushed it into my groin for pressure. So please everyone take extra care when using equipment and don’t become too complaisant.

Andy

I can't begin to imagine how his family and friends must feel! It's such a terrible thing something we all dread, but even though all advice given is excellent i think we all know that if a climber has an accident like that and he/she can't get down from the tree them self within seconds their dead!

Even with a line up a tree already installed, the time ground staff have got a harness on and got up the tree the climber would be dead with those injuries.

I can't begin to imagine how his family and friends must feel! It's such a terrible thing something we all dread, but even though all advice given is excellent i think we all know that if a climber has an accident like that and he/she can't get down from the tree them self within seconds their dead!

Even with a line up a tree already installed, the time ground staff have got a harness on and got up the tree the climber would be dead with those injuries.

So true,i feel one of the most important things we can do is always climb with a rope that is long another to get you down in one(more important than a climbing groundie IMO),and keep a clear line for a quick decent,adrenalin will give you a minuet or two,even with a serious injury.

So true,i feel one of the most important things we can do is always climb with a rope that is long another to get you down in one(more important than a climbing groundie IMO),and keep a clear line for a quick decent,adrenalin will give you a minuet or two,even with a serious injury.

:icon14: i have personal experiance of self rescue after a cut that lacerated an artery. A cool head and a speedy decent saved my life. Imo any rescue by another climber that day would have been to retrieve my body:scared:

It is so sad.

I agree having done a fair few first aid courses and seen a couple of accidents that really if a climber hits an artery with a saw if they can't get themselves down in seconds its sad to say they have little chance of living long enough to be rescued.

You just never think it, do you every time you pick up a saw it could happen 1 moments in attention & ..

I am truely gutted for all those concerned , I cant imagine the anquish kids would go through,

but 'if' I have to go doing something I love.........

It maybe a nice gesture to raise a fund from arbtalk, I dont want that to sound off, its just a suggestion

thoughts.......