Recording trees

Andy Collins

I, (being totally computer challenged) am trying to work out the best way to record photo and data of all the trees on a site, with specific info on each tree, such as work carried out, observations of the health etc. this way I can have an idea of where I am on each tree at any given time, rather than running around like a headless chicken!! It must be a simple system to use, and easy to add in info as and when required. Ideas please?

whats wrong with simply tagging all the trees and setting up a spread sheet?

Nothing. I wanted to include pics of the trees, so there is an idea of how they look at the time of recording, then the following years it can act as some kind of benchmark. I may just go with the spreadsheet.

PDA mate..look up the Arboricultural Information Exchange and search out the appropiate page link. A website maintained by Chris Skellern.

Basially I think it runs from a windows based platform

Fat 32 or NTFS....no great shakes. Quite pricey tho matey. GPS positions the tree each time you present a new specimen etc.

( cant see the link immediately I looked for it on AIE but it certainly used to be there. ) You could try a google search for computer tree survey mmm.........

I think I remember that you could use a trial version for free..but not what you need longterm eh?

Was gonna edit this post but the website interferes pretty good eh...technology.Dont trust the machines, they will eat your info and all is lost!

You need to look up a software application known as "Tree Wise " this enables you download nfo collected from the field on a palmtop to the PC. It is owned by Robin Forestry Surveys. One of many systems out there....

Wow, a discussion forum that meets all our needs!! Who'd have thought it possible? Looks an excellent product, tho for what (hopefully) will be a one-off survey I think its too pricey (not a criticism) if I were a consultant it would be very useful. thanks anyway.