Arb or not to arb?

Danavan

Yep John i agree the Cert Arb is already there but if myself and you was to stand at the front gate of an arb show and ask everbody through the gates who was the industry representing body in the UK i bet that 90% + would say the AA.

Should have that not read......

Yep John i agree the Cert Arb is already there but if myself and you was to stand at the front gate of an arb show and ask everbody through the gates who was the 'self appointed' industry representing body in the UK i bet that 90% + would say the AA :sneaky2:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have that not read......

Yep John i agree the Cert Arb is already there but if myself and you was to stand at the front gate of an arb show and ask everbody through the gates who was the 'self appointed' industry representing body in the UK i bet that 90% + would say the AA :sneaky2:

I think one would find that the use of 'was to stand at the front gate' should be replaced by you & I where too:sneaky2:

Carry on:001_rolleyes:

Edited by Danavan

Hi Mestereh, thanks for your post.

You highlight a problem I'm very aware of and it's one we are placing a great deal of emphasis on during reassessments. The key, as I see it coz constant reassessments every time a climber leaves a larger company would be unreasonable, is to have in place a good 'named manager' actively auditing work quality on a regular basis and addressing problems as they arise. This combined with the LA Tree Officer fraternity actively monitoring contractors work quality in their area AND reporting to the AA when poor quality work is observed (on a regular rather than 'one off' basis as everyone can have a bad day) will hopefully improve the situation.

We often tell companies "you're only ever as good as your worst job and everyone in the world will see it" in an attempt to emphasise why 'audits' are important (we've developed a work quality audit form I'm happy to share for info AND comment, email me direct [email protected])!

Any other ideas / thoughts please let me know.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Your grammar looks fine to me (not that I've ever met her...ha!), communication is the key and your point comes across very well!

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Hi Danavan,

Your points are very valid and prudent AND I'm more than happy to post openly...albeit at the risk of 'hogging' this particular forum...sorry all!

'Mis-use of the logo' is a real pain in my side (& the AAs) to be quite honest, and even though the AA have registered the logo's privately (thereby allowing us to take direct civil action as opposed to relying on Trading Standards to take criminal action which they're often loathe to do) it is still very difficult, time consuming AND expensive to do so but we have previously, and won, AND it cost the AA approx. £35k to do so and the contractor concerned is paying back at £5 a week, or summat stupid like that...'what a crazy world we live in eh?...(it's always the good guys who lose out even when they think they've won...AGHHHHH!!!!!...sorry!)

RE-BBC Watchdog/Rogue Traders, we have approached them, several times, making them aware of us and the AAACs etc. but for some reason we're not quite 'prime time TV' material (mind you have you seen us on the AA website...sorry 'girls'!) Jokin apart we have made a bit of a break through here very recently so 'watch this space' in the future (fingers "x'd"!)

It's an uphill struggle all the way BUT I firmly believe that, in the absence of imposed regulation from central government (which'll never happen IMO), 'self-regulation' is the only option to move the industry forward significantly and at this moment in time the only real vehicle to do so is the AC scheme (but then I would say that.....COZ I firmly believe in it BUT we don't have the 'critical mass' currently!)

Cheers all..

Paul

Hi John,

Sorry, I may have missed your point here but do you mean the Association has 'self-appointed' rather than, for instance, being elected so to do BY the industry? If so, it is my understanding that the origins of the Association are from the industry, albeit Surrey/Hants based at the time, and we do seek to be democratic (although worryingly that has political tones which probably does us no good in the current climate...MY expenses are minimal though..."honist guv!") with the various committees and appointed Trustees we have etc.

I wholly agree that whilst we (honestly) try to be representative of the industry it is very difficult at times (frequently) as we seek to be "all things to all...people", i.e. we endeavour to service ALL sectors of the industry from contracting, to consulting, to LA Tree Officers, to reserachers etc. etc. and, probably inevitably, we don't always do this well (in fact I know we don't and, t'be honist, that's in part why I'm here today...COZ we/I recognise we need to do more and thankfully a chap by the name of Nick Beardmore (thanks Nick!) suggested this may be a good way of communicating with a wider industry base as many of you guys, and guy'esses, are the 'hub' of the industry...without you there wouldn't be an industry (now I do sound like a bl**dy politician...sorry!))

Contentious comment I know BUT the Association does seek to be wholly inclusive (no reference to the male reproductive glands here please!) for the industry BUT again 'critcial mass' is the issue. The other day an AC asked why the AA cannot provide legal/HR advice as part of the scheme as they pay us much more than the Fed. of Small Businesses (FSB) and they can do it? The difference is the FSB have 250,000 members (apparently) paying between £250 & £500 (I think) a year = that's why!

Perhaps I should have put my posting name down as 'waffle man' rather than AA Teccie but I'm trying to give you the full picture.

Re -the ISA, IMO the Cert. Arb. they introduced into the UK (thanks to Mr Dowson for his valuable input here) was 'the best thing since sliced bread', it's an excellent qualification, as I mentioned previously my personal opinon is it should be at level 3 not 2, in recognition of it's value (this is experienced first hand when we assess named manager knowledge and the people with ISA Cert. Arb. always do very well and in particular re-Shigo's stuff...'the late, great Dr.!')

But it is fundamentally different as an 'award' being an individuals qualification rather than a company accreditation, albeit it can form an integral part of this!

Hoping I've answered everyone fully (you're probably 'over full') and 'thanks' for the opportunity!

Have a great weekend.

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Robert, many thanks for your reply and confirmation that the posts are useful, I really welcome the opportunity so to do.

Hello Paul,

like others have said or thought, I welcome the (long overdue :001_tongue:) interaction that the AA (you) have seen fit to jump on board here with.

The identification of the site as a bridge to a large proportion of the industry, is one that is in need of maintaining.

I hope that's the strategy, as it's one that will pay huge divedends to yourselves and the diverse membership here.

Does My Eden know you're on here all day, and not tackling the mountain of paperwork at ya desk :001_tongue:

If you see Guy, tell him David from the CoL says hello :001_smile:

regards

D

I too am glad that someone from the AA has come on-board. We've had others show their face for a post or two, but they havent really appreciated the grass-roots honesty/criticism that is found on this site. Many of us are hard at work at the coal-face, dealing with the serious issues of trying to keep afloat in a very difficult economic climate. Just to find the necessary to pay staff makes it hard to justify allegiance to a body such as the AA (cost-wise). We need to see value for money in every thing we spend on, and to spend money to become AAAC has to be the hardest to justify IMHO. I have nothing against any of the relevant trade bodies, but I do have to ask, what would I get for my money by seeking AAAC status? And would it beneficial enough to me, to even gain that status?