Arb or not to arb?

Danavan

Whilst I fail to understand why the spelling (or misspelling) of somebody's name on the AA's website is a matter of such exitement, THURMAN is the correct spelling, Peter T is a tree consultant / lecturer based in East Sussex

Who's excited, not me?:confused1:

Anyway I stand corrected nick, ta very much.

While I'm here paul, I can see how I was completely wrong about my first point re above paragraph 3, although the wording leaves a lot to be desired. However the more I re-read the last sentence, it does give the impression that the AA is inspecting the work of it's AAACs and by extension offering some kind of industry body, guarantee of said work.

On a forum like this there will always be people who disagree, which is a good thing, thats how we all learn, or agree to differ. However, does this not amount to a false claim, or the impression of one due to wording.

Must go reduce a little cherry tree now, to my own exacting standards, your'e welcome to come have a look if you want - see how its done:biggrin:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's excited, not me?:confused1:

Anyway I stand corrected nick, ta very much.

While I'm here paul, I can see how I was completely wrong about my first point re above paragraph 3, although the wording leaves a lot to be desired. However the more I re-read the last sentence, it does give the impression that the AA is inspecting the work of it's AAACs and by extension offering some kind of industry body, guarantee of said work.

On a forum like this there will always be people who disagree, which is a good thing, thats how we all learn, or agree to differ. However, does this not amount to a false claim, or the impression of one due to wording.

Must go reduce a little cherry tree now, to my own exacting standards, your'e welcome to come have a look if you want - see how its done:biggrin:

Excellent, I wish I could BUT I much prefer sitting here in a stuffy office bashing heck out of the keyboard...afterall who wants to be outside in that luverly sunshine with fresh air n bird song doing good tree work, hopefully with a hand-saw???...MEEEEEEE!!!!!

I totally agree the wording you refer to ain't good, n to be totally honest (head on the block here!) I don't think I've read it previously (shhh!) but it won't be readable(?) on the new website coz it won't be there.

Hope you've had a great day..!

Cheers..

Paul

At the risk of "waking sleeping dogs" I offer the following responses, with input from Nick Eden, to several of the points Andy raised on Tuesday which I was unable to answer straight away...thank you!

Perhaps Paul, you could explain a few of the following......

1) How are the public "benefiting", from having an "industry" that remains unregulated and unstandardised? An ongoing problem which the AAAC actually contributes to, as opposed to doing everything withinin its powers to rectify?

PS/NE - Many industries aren’t government regulated, our industry is just one. The AAAC (and AARC) schemes are about inviting arbs to submit to voluntary regulation in the absence of government regulation.

2) Cross referencing to the statement from the AAAC report - '8c- The issue of LA TOs etc. ‘policing’ the standards locally again came up with a suggestion for simplified complaints/notification procedure to be agreed between the AA & NATO members for reporting of incidents.'.

When considering that 41.8% of the consultation responses came from LA TOs, how is implying, nay condoneing the use of public funded civil servants, in the public benefit?

PS/NE - Please remember that this is feedback from the survey respondents, not the AA! Protecting and enhancing publically and privately owned trees is a major focus for most TOs and I think most would agree this benefits the public. If poor tree work is undertaken by contractors then this can be addressed if the contractor is part of a scheme that regulates its activity and if the regulator is made aware of the poor work. Of course, if the contractor is not regulated then it is up to the client alone to pursue poor tree work.

Considering point 4.23 of the AAs MaAoA, and that LAs now have to excersise "best value", is this use of public funded staff to "police" the assets of an independant charity, not tantamount to breach of the point 4.23?

PS/NE - As an ex-TO myself (in the early “best value” days) I know that my employer was very supportive of any action I took to look after trees in my district. I never had to report an AAAC or AARC to the AA for poor tree work in my district but if it had been necessary I would have done it to protect trees, not to help the AA. With my AA hat on I can assure you that investigating a complaint properly costs the AA time, effort and money.

When considering the approx 30,000 people (LANTA figures) that work in trees and timber, and the quoted approx 2000 of which are AA members, is implying that those contractors not AAAC approved are NOT proffesional, not also tantamount to slander and therefore poses a further possible breach to 4.23?

PS/NE - The title “Find a Professional” means that people listed in it are professionals. It does not say, or imply, that those listed are the only professionals in the industry (Find a Professional).

Danavan, excellent someone who appreciates my '...at much length' postings, now I just need to get to '...at great length', I'll try my best.

Jokin apart, what esle do you want us to do for you? (realistically and please remember 'forum etiquette & decorum'!) OR, put it another way, what issues can we help with that are affecting you?

I can 'bleat on' about other stuff the AA does and list the plethora of different groups and bodies we represent on but that may mean very little to you and/or hold little value if it doesn't affect your day-to-day operations.

I acknowledge to date we haven't been as active or vociferous as other industry bodies perhaps but the reality is we're 'small fry' by comparison. Nevertheless we do have some 'big hitters' so let me know.

Cheers..

Paul

PS Apologies for this posting being so brief!

Paul, In no way was it ment as a slight to your 'at length posts'.

Again my rubbish on line manor due to lack of writing skills & abilaty to convay in short my point.

Ta much for your time & awnsers to all questions posted.

The point is I dont want you to do anything for me, I will keep on doing what I do for co's with or without the AA stamp..My question was what do you do for the co's that do have your stamp?

Anywho.....

Paul, In no way was it ment as a slight to your 'at length posts'.

Again my rubbish on line manor due to lack of writing skills & abilaty to convay in short my point.

Ta much for your time & awnsers to all questions posted.

The point is I dont want you to do anything for me, I will keep on doing what I do for co's with or without the AA stamp..My question was what do you do for the co's that do have your stamp?

Anywho.....

Hi Danavan, apologies it's taken me a few days to find my way back here!

Thanks for your kind words about my 'waffling habit', and your posts are great with good points raised and questions asked, communication is 'KEY', the other stuff (spellings, grammar, punctuation etc.) less so...no worries, you comm. well!

In terms of what do we do for existing AAACs, to be honest, and excluding production of the annual Directory and website entries, not as much as I'd like to be doing. We do present on the HSE SHAD (Safety and Health Awareness Day) 'Engaging Competent Arb Contractors' BUT our principle remit is to promote the AAAC standards as a benchmark for arb contracting. In-directly tho it does promote the AAACs also.

I also plan to attend at least 4 Tree Officer meetings per year starting this year, having done the NW region and Midlands in a few weeks, to promote the scheme & ACs. I am also in the process of producing a programme for kind of 'a mini-SHAD', run by the AA, where we will promote the ACs (very) directly.

We are currently trying to get a regular 'writing spot' in the RHS 'The Gardner' publication too.

I'm also currently making a concerted effort to keep ACs up-to-date on H&S and industry good practice stuff, along with occasional relevant infomration from the Business Link website etc.

But again ('yawn' time) it all takes time and resources and at the present rate certainly nothing happens overnight I'm afraid.

Hoping this better answers your question this time (if not, or if there's more, please post back!)

Cheers..

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)