using cones and tree cutting sign.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will also need a second vehicle to carry all the cones, signs and barriers otherwise you wont fit the wood chip in.

I have only ever won one job where proffessional traffic management was priced in.

Lost a job last month where I priced in traffic lights, the crew that did it didn't bother, but imo it was far too dodgey a job not to use it

cheers Rupe,

so common sense, study, ask questions and eliminate risk as best i can.

Can i operate without a chapter 8 / relevent course certificate, as today £500.00 plus is a stretch.

You can do what you like! Work without chainsaw tickets, PPE, Insurance, whatever.

You can drive without a licence or isurance too if you like! Its up to you to do what you feel best and take the consequnces of you don't. I can't give you permission or say no either.

If there are any accidents or reported near misses and the HSE get inlvolved then you might well be prosecuted for not having the right certs. Also if you have insurance then that won't cover you workign on or near roads without the correct certificates.

So yes you can, but your not insured to and its illegal!

The point I was making originally about anythin gwill do to make it safe was more to do with footpaths (countryside types) not pavements.

Then my next point was all the barriers in the world are not as good as having a groundie in place. So you were doing it right the way you did, that doesn't make it ok, especially if you are undercutting companies that have all these things in place.

trust me, i'm looking to earn a living in a safe and professional manner,

i'm not undercutting, i price for my needs, as i said i was asking for some help and perhaps a bit of guidance on something that was of concern to me, that i knew little about, not permission, trust me on that too.

i'm sorry that you feel the need to be patronizing.

Edited by 455

I'm, not being patronising (intentionally) but being blunt is a good way to put a point across.

You get what I mean though. What you did sounds perfect for the situation and as long as no accidents occur then that is all that matters really.

The only reason I ever got any traffic certs was to gain council contracts, other than that I would never have bothered. I know I can put a cone out and my groundies can keep the work site safe. After thats its all just paperwork for penpushers, and I'm not a fan of penpushers!

But what I said is true, you can do what you like but the facts are other companies won't like it and you wont be insured. I try and tell it like it is. Also my responses are there to be read by everyone from now on, so not aimed soley at you.

Good luck with it all, it is a slow progression no one can have everything in place on day one.

I'm, not being patronising (intentionally) but being blunt is a good way to put a point across.

You get what I mean though. What you did sounds perfect for the situation and as long as no accidents occur then that is all that matters really.

The only reason I ever got any traffic certs was to gain council contracts, other than that I would never have bothered. I know I can put a cone out and my groundies can keep the work site safe. After thats its all just paperwork for penpushers, and I'm not a fan of penpushers!

But what I said is true, you can do what you like but the facts are other companies won't like it and you wont be insured. I try and tell it like it is. Also my responses are there to be read by everyone from now on, so not aimed soley at you.

Good luck with it all, it is a slow progression no one can have everything in place on day one.

fair play and thanks,

no offence taken, touchy because i'm new to the game, and inexperienced, but want to get on well in the right way, with people that do it right.

i take a similar stand in getting points across when its important.

Totally securing a job site is a nearly impossible task, but as stated in the previous comments you gotta do it right and cover your butt just in case the unfortunate happens.

Few have stated much about securing your own safety, trust me.... never rely on just sticking out a few cones if working on a road. Get the biggest damn logs (or brush heap) OR even your truck you can find and stick e'm in the road between your work area and the cones.

I have seen over the years many site injuries caused by outside forces coming "into" the work zone, I guess there is not a lot you can do about that.

Back in the day's when every climber had his own personal "ropeman" I recall a traffic collision way up the road with the out of control vehicle eventualy taking out the ropeman and a groundie.

In another incident I recall I was dropping out some big heavy lumps into the road, both ends had the traffic stopped, I got the OK, and just as the lump of trunk left the cut I saw this old land-rover doing about 50mph. run by the

stop control. I swear I saw that 6foot x 20inch beech log meeting right at his windshield, well I guess he must have been doing 52mph co'z it got him right on the tow ball..... that land-rover done a wheel'y for 30feet.

Working on a road is more dangerous than treework without a doubt, you are just not in control.