Type of hazelnut tree identification

23 hours ago, EarthSpiritPeace said:

Ideally, I would love for them to develop hazelnuts and I am learning about cross-pollination to achieve this. They both look identical and I understand the same species can't cross-pollinate.

If you have any growing nearby, perhaps in hedges, they should help cross-pollinate.

1 hour ago, coppice cutter said:

Not so far, I planted it in the heart of a 100% agricultural area and seldom see a grey. I find lots of nuts on the woodland floor during late winter/early spring which have a little perfectly round hole on the top of them which apparently is mice so they seem to be the main beneficiary to date.

You are lucky. We must have 1000s of trees and they regularly set nuts but the greys, jays, mice, voles and the odd dormouse get through most of the nuts. Controlling the greys does get us a harvest.

I'm currently planting more hazel out, grown from the largest nuts I can find and the odd bag of cheap Kentish cob nuts from the shops.

This year's looks good for a harvest where we live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

You are lucky. We must have 1000s of trees and they regularly set nuts but the greys, jays, mice, voles and the odd dormouse get through most of the nuts. Controlling the greys does get us a harvest.

I'm currently planting more hazel out, grown from the largest nuts I can find and the odd bag of cheap Kentish cob nuts from the shops.

This year's looks good for a harvest where we live.

Hazel is awesome, tough, resilient, pretty, incredibly easy to manage, great for wildlife, gives you excellent firewood, and you get nuts.

I planted about 500 hundred, if I'd known then what I know now I'd have doubled that.

If I had more ground I'd definitely plant an area of hazel coppice, maybe with a few standards through it. But then there'd have to be fewer sheep, and I like keeping them too.

But I'm being picky, overall I should just be glad I planted what I did when I did.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...