The unexplained

Steve Bullman

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

The lower cut appears to be an attempt at a gob but maybe there was not enough room to put in the back cut so went higher .

I'd say there's a fundamental lack of understanding of how gravity works if that's a gob! 😂

4 hours ago, Sutton said:

I'd trust most farmers to know the basics of compression and tension. But there's no de-compressing undercut on top. We'd expect from windblown so most likely an amateur.

I've never met a farmer who understood this.  They all think it's some sort of magical power to be able to cross-cut anything remotely big without getting pinched.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spruce Pirate said:

I'd say there's a fundamental lack of understanding of how gravity works if that's a gob! 😂

We are talking farmer here .

Edited by Stubby

30 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

I was thinking the cut is supposed to be a gob, and they were going to try to pull it backwards into the field with a tractor. 

Yep it’s unmistakably a gob. What I’m trying to work out is at what point it was made, before or after the trunk sat up. 

15 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Yep it’s unmistakably a gob. What I’m trying to work out is at what point it was made, before or after the trunk sat up. 

Personally, based on nothing more than guessing, i'd say they took a load of weight from the crown and it sat up leaving 'x' amount of main stem left above what we see now. They then put a gob in thinking they would pull it backwards. However, being farmers, by the time the machine arrived they realised that they didn't need to drag it back, when someone could stand on forks / in bucket / on roof of aforementioned machine, and chog it down. When they hit fence wire / staples, they thought "sod it, let's just prop it up and go home". 

• Like 3