The unexplained

Steve Bullman

9 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Hit the fence he attached to it years ago so couldn't finish the lower cut, ended up going higher...

Is the sign just stopping anyone falling over the props? Doesn't seem to be doing any supporting 

The hedge on the other side of the road was flattened so I think the trunk sat up after they removed the crown

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Hit the fence he attached to it years ago so couldn't finish the lower cut, ended up going higher...

Ah yes. I was thinking first cut higher and then gave up trying to make the second cut but that makes more sense.

Then worried how much wood is left so made a completely half arsed job putting in props. Luckily it's pop so will rot away before anyone comes close.

• Like 1

I'd trust most farmers to know the basics of compression and tension. But there's no de-compressing undercut on top. We'd expect from windblown so most likely an amateur.

If it's ash and had dieback then there might not have been anyneed?

If I was a poor farmer with a small unreliable saw with a view to heating the hearth this winter then I could see why the base cut was made. The butt will start to season, the sign warns road uses of a hazard and the after-thought props are a feeble attempt to keep it off the verge.

Of course, this is only tongue in cheek guessing :)