Summer drop what now?

Jonnym

Question

Hello. We have a large London Plane  which has just shed a large limb.   I would say it it's a few tons as my digger topped out while moving it from its hung up position.

The limb is about 45-50cms in diameter and 10m plus long. It represents a 5th/6th of the canopy.   I've got it on the floor now, but it's left a gaping hole in the trunk. 

It was a weak union, but had not moved in years, finally I think the drought got it.  

The hole seems to go down into the trunk and unfortunately it will fill up with water and leaves.   What's the best course of action for the hole?

thanks Jonnym

Edit:. The swings have been removed already as there is another weak union on a bigger branch!!!😱

16601441503861650612937436787142.jpg

1660144163100820839749559901589.jpg

16601442449303144110834951601614.jpg

Edited by Jonnym
More info

5 answers to this question

The best course of action for the hole (in my opinion) is do nothing, let it fill with stagnant water if it wants to. It will become anaerobic and slow down decay more than if you start doing anything like drain tubes or filling.

I would take a step back from the tree though, maybe take some more photos, it might be a massively overstood pollard and so could benefit from being repollarded and then maintained as a pollard to reduce risk of future breakouts.

Edited by Dan Maynard

31 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Thats not summer branch drop, it’s an included union.

I was reading about summer branch drop, one of the problems they identified is that there is no clear and universal definition.

The branch failed in the summer on a still hot day, not due to wind/storm/snow/ice etc loading so some would indeed call that summer branch drop. Others would say SBD is only those branches which looked perfect but suddenly fell off.

My pondering is how much the moisture level in the tree changes in summer, if it goes down then shrinkage of the timber will be increasing the stress in unequal directions.

Thanks for the info

I won't worry about the hole an leave it as is.

I will try to get another shot tomorrow of the full tree.

We had it inspected regularly, but not since COVID.  The weak union (included union?) was noted but not of concern.   The tree has never been managed or pollarded and it is a big one, but no different from many seen in London parks.

The surprising thing to me was how dry the timber is.   I've unsuccessfully been looking for my moisture meter to test it.

Of all the green timber I've milled and worked I've not had any this dry, the wood around the break snaps and cracks like dried wood and is bone dry and light to the touch.  Is this  common for this variety?

Thanks again

Jonnym