Air Compressor

IronMike

Morning all.

I’m after a basic air compressor for my yard. It’ll be used for blowing up tyres, and cleaning out saws etc, so an all singing all dancing beast is not necessary.

Any recommendations out there? One of the first to pop up on the old Google search are a company called SGS, they appear well priced and UK made I think. Anybody had experience of them?

The SGS 24 litre air compressor and starter kit is ideal for DIY and trade applications such as spray-painting, tyre inflation...

Budget £150-200 ideally.

24 litre is relatively small but usable for tyres. It'll be bloody noisy tho, as doobin says a belt drive version are quieter.

Belt drive are about talking level, direct drive from experience are ear piercing. Could just be a Friday special but, pay more for maybe a SIP or similar.

I'm not knocking any particular brand, I've a horrible direct drive Sip one and an 1950s vintage Ingersoll belt drive.

It's slow but the belt drive wins every time, other than a new hose it's like Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way.

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

Morning all.

I’m after a basic air compressor for my yard. It’ll be used for blowing up tyres, and cleaning out saws etc, so an all singing all dancing beast is not necessary.

Any recommendations out there? One of the first to pop up on the old Google search are a company called SGS, they appear well priced and UK made I think. Anybody had experience of them?

The SGS 24 litre air compressor and starter kit is ideal for DIY and trade applications such as spray-painting, tyre inflation...

Budget £150-200 ideally.

i use the 50 litre version of that and haven't had any issues

aren't amazing quality but they work... not a big deal if they don't last too long at that price though

i would recommend going for the 50 litre over the 24 though if you can

Bought one of these last year.

• 1hp oil free silent motor • 24 litre air receiver • Air displacement: 4.8 cfm • Max operating pressure 8 bar • Includes: Carry handle The Einhell TE-AC 24 Silent...

Works very well and is genuinely quiet.  Okay at 24 litres it won't run the more powerful air-tools for long without cutting-in to refill.  But does everything I want.  Worth a look.

It does come up on offer on a regular basis.  Think I paid £140 for it.

• Like 1

I got a cheap Chinese 24 litre compressor a bit like that SGS one for a bargain £45 delivered. Not sure how it happened but it did and 4 years in, it has been brilliant. 

A bit noisy but outlasted the Screwfix one that did only 2 years.

One thing to remember, big rattle guns need a big feed pipe, the little coily airline pipe won't feed enough air.

Apart from that, it will power nail and staple guns, pump up tyres and clean chainsaws via an air line. All arb types should have one!!

• Like 1