Apples in a woodland setting.

On 09/08/2022 at 13:56, Stubby said:

Would not the relatively shorter apple trees get shaded out buy the rest of the woodland ? Also you get birds in a wood ...

As Paul says, you look to find suitable positions around the edges or in my case you also position near to stuff that can be coppiced or thinned (hazel, oak, maple, etc) to give the apples a head-start. Stronger root-stocks for a bit of vigour and height is also a consideration.

This wee area was slightly different, it was supposed to be 100% Norway Maple but in the first few years they done badly so (again similar to Paul) I stuck a few apple trees in the spaces but as it's a southerly facing corner it started to develop a bit of a micro climate and soon became obvious that it was worth a bit of extra effort so I moved a couple of weaker maples for space, added a few fruit bushes, and I keep the grass trimmed a bit.

The remaining maples will be managed to provide a bit of shelter but without being too shady, at least that's the plan at present. But it's ongoing and every year you find out something else, which is just as likely to be something you done wrong as right!

IMG_20220810_075242.jpg

IMG_20220810_075310.jpg

IMG_20220810_075432.jpg

IMG_20220810_075608.jpg

IMG_20220810_075659.jpg

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 1