Apples in a woodland setting.

Has anyone experience of growing apples in a native woodland environment as opposed to a bespoke orchard or even just a tree or two randomly in your garden?

This is the first year of any apples on most of my trees and they are being absolutely mullered by birds already.

Wondering if there's any practical preventative measures possible or is it just a bad idea trying to grow apples in a relatively wild setting?

Any experiences or advice welcome as ever.

1 hour ago, coppice cutter said:

Has anyone experience of growing apples in a native woodland environment as opposed to a bespoke orchard or even just a tree or two randomly in your garden?

This is the first year of any apples on most of my trees and they are being absolutely mullered by birds already.

Wondering if there's any practical preventative measures possible or is it just a bad idea trying to grow apples in a relatively wild setting?

Very interesting question for me as I have toyed with this idea also.  Sorry I have no answers but I look forward to a knowledgeable arbtalker or two sharing their experience...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Yes, I planted about 25 apple trees in my woodland and there are several more growing about the place.

I've found the same, birds such as jays hammered them along with squirrels and even voles. 

I have managed to pick some ripe apples when the trees produce a decent amount. Controlling the squirrels helps. So I think once your trees reach a decent size and produce a good crop you should get some.

Edited by Paul in the woods
  • Like 1

I did wonder if the still relatively small number was an issue.

Certainly in the early days with soft fruit, it was nearly impossible to get anything, but now that the bushes are much bigger and more of them, it seems more a case of everybody being able to get a bit, humans included.

Maybe going to have to be similarly patient with the apples.

3 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Would not the relatively shorter apple trees get shaded out buy the rest of the woodland ? Also you get birds in a wood ...

Planted 3 or 4 traditional apple trees on the edge of our bit of woodland (in France) and every year they get mullered by the wasps and/or hornets.  Can make for a few heart stopping moments when you reach up to pick an unblemished fruit only to feel something buzzing under your fingers as you realise it's been completely hollowed out on the blind side !!!!

Mature/ ancient woods provide many more potential nest sites for wasps and hornets (and now to make matters worse the Asians have joined in - as well as stealing my bees !)

5 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

I did wonder if the still relatively small number was an issue.

Certainly in the early days with soft fruit, it was nearly impossible to get anything, but now that the bushes are much bigger and more of them, it seems more a case of everybody being able to get a bit, humans included.

Maybe going to have to be similarly patient with the apples.

Yes, I tend to think there is a critical mass you need to get to. I've had the same with soft fruit as well, once you get enough plants then you stand a chance of getting something.

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

Would not the relatively shorter apple trees get shaded out buy the rest of the woodland ? Also you get birds in a wood ...

With my trees there was an area in a young woodland where the young trees had died off, so a bit of a clearing that needed filling. I did learn that there was probably a reason why the other trees died, the soil was probably panned and needed breaking up, but the apple trees have gone mad once established. 

As for birds you get.them everywhere, I think it's more the lack of disturbance that allows hungry critters to settle and nosh away.

• Like 2

As for birds you get.them everywhere, I think it's more the lack of disturbance that allows hungry critters to settle and nosh away.

Yeah have jays atm going "om nom" on  an  large orchard in a garden setting thats right outside the front of a  house but the owner doesn't go into the garden often to disturb them. Jays are very shy birds & always & fly away sqawking when you approach.

Have had a plague of blackbirds on the currants & raspberries & home this year alot more than previous yrs....

So im unsure about the crital mass theory as they are totally stripping the lot bare (dozen large red currant bushes plus blackcurrants gooseberries and raspberries) - unless they are netted. Maybe the extra food source is just  increasing the blackbird numbers unsure about how there populations & territories work etc?

Originally  they only used to eat the red currants and leave the other fruit. I think that they have maybe taught the next generations to start eating the other berry types they did not eat previously?

Seems to be aprox 15- 20 blackbirds at once.

Unlike jays they are brazenly "cheeky" and will carry on eating right in front of you.

Edited by Stere