Sizwheel felling cut

slack ma girdle

Nice 1👍

His advice about scoring or marking where the back cut should be is good as it does get a bit confusing at times at that far side.esp when u 1st start doing them.

Takes a bit of getting ur eye in/head round at 1st

The golden rule is well worth remembering too, its all great swinging a tree over a house for a u tube clip when it works but a bloody disaster if it doesn't and sometimes they dont work even when the cuts are spot on.

I  have to admit i think been doing them wrong, sometimes instead of boring vertically down i follow the line of the gub down, usually to save a bit of time trying to do that cu in a 1er with the gub

But its probably the wrong way to do it. As u then have to watch how far u bring ur back cut through as ur hinge is further back on that side.

I have had them break of on me but that is operator error or possibly tree just too heavy.

Mainly because i mis calculated the hinge width with me coming diagionally down instead of vertically straight down.

U also don't want ur back cut to high either.

But it does work very well normally

After watching ur vid going to always do them straight down in future it does look to work better.

Cheers

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Nice 1👍

His advice about scoring or marking where the back cut should be is good as it does get a bit confusing at times at that far side.esp when u 1st start doing them.

Takes a bit of getting ur eye in/head round at 1st

The golden rule is well worth remembering too, its all great swinging a tree over a house for a u tube clip when it works but a bloody disaster if it doesn't and sometimes they dont work even when the cuts are spot on.

I  have to admit i think been doing them wrong, sometimes instead of boring vertically down i follow the line of the gub down, usually to save a bit of time trying to do that cu in a 1er with the gub

But its probably the wrong way to do it. As u then have to watch how far u bring ur back cut through as ur hinge is further back on that side.

I have had them break of on me but that is operator error or possibly tree just too heavy.

Mainly because i mis calculated the hinge width with me coming diagionally down instead of vertically straight down.

U also don't want ur back cut to high either.

But it does work very well normally

After watching ur vid going to always do them straight down in future it does look to work better.

Cheers

Quite a few people bring the corner of the mouth down, and create a smaller area for the hinge to bend, but I always find that they don't hold. Making the extra long diagonal seems to allow better holding even with trees with poor fiber strength.

The down side is the height of the stump, the back of the handle was touching the ground in that video.

I am surprised that the stump police haven't swooped in!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slack ma girdle said:

Quite a few people bring the corner of the mouth down, and create a smaller area for the hinge to bend, but I always find that they don't hold. Making the extra long diagonal seems to allow better holding even with trees with poor fiber strength.

The down side is the height of the stump, the back of the handle was touching the ground in that video.

I am surprised that the stump police haven't swooped in!

I do it this way, but normally also try and leave a tapered hinge, thick on the holding side, rather than going Dutch on the side with the lean.  I find it works more times than not, but I'll definitely be trying your vertical cut for a bit of comparison.  

I like a Sizwell cut and find it works a treat, but I also always follow the golden rule!

3 minutes ago, Spruce Pirate said:

I do it this way, but normally also try and leave a tapered hinge, thick on the holding side, rather than going Dutch on the side with the lean.  I find it works more times than not, but I'll definitely be trying your vertical cut for a bit of comparison.  

I like a Sizwell cut and find it works a treat, but I also always follow the golden rule!

This is what I like about this kind of stuff, there are soo many variations , and all are equally valid. It is also learning why things have gone wrong, and what can you change to try and make it work.

If there are any more similar leaning trees in this wood,  I will try both.

• Like 1