Carb screwdriver? Titan

mikerecike

Any help on how to adjust this (presumably Chinese) carb on Screwfix titan multi tool pls. Have adjusted other barrel carbs down the top in the past by digging out a plug and then using micro flathead. This seems to have its own design. Also has side screw??as pictured. Not sure what that does. Cheers folks. ( It's starved of fuel & so dying at full throttle).

IMG_20220806_175609.jpg

IMG_20220806_175403.jpg

IMG_20220806_173924.jpg

1 hour ago, mikerecike said:

Any help on how to adjust this (presumably Chinese) carb on Screwfix titan multi tool pls. Have adjusted other barrel carbs down the top in the past by digging out a plug and then using micro flathead. This seems to have its own design. Also has side screw??as pictured. Not sure what that does. Cheers folks. ( It's starved of fuel & so dying at full throttle).

IMG_20220806_175609.jpg

IMG_20220806_175403.jpg

IMG_20220806_173924.jpg

I have seen these before, if there I’d no screw head then the needle is fixed and not adjustable, the screw in the side should be the H screw.

You can get a set of carb adjusters which cover most eventualities but would say the splined, D and hex are the most useful and yours looks to be splined or possibly D...I took a close look at your pic but it pixelates and I can't see it clearly enough (second Photo).

The second photo is the H screw and is the one you need to adjust for High speed - turn it anticlockwise.

The first photo, sometimes but not always, there is a plastic or soft rubber tiny bung in the brass bit and if you prize this out, there will be a screw underneath which is actually the top of the barrel needle and you can richen the low speed running by undoing it a little. 

The idle speed may be adjusted if the needle is adjusted but it may be fixed on a low cost machine like this.

Check out the fuel filter and the fuel lines as they may be shot giving you the issues you have and also the internal gauze strainer could also cause similar issues.

I have had machines like this need a slight adjustment but also had the fuel line issues as above on irregular used machines.

1 hour ago, adw said:

I have seen these before, if there I’d no screw head then the needle is fixed and not adjustable, the screw in the side should be the H screw.

So that's the screw to richen the mixture then I guess - I'll take another pic tomorrow & see if any of my carb screwdrivers fit. Cheers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, spudulike said:

You can get a set of carb adjusters which cover most eventualities but would say the splined, D and hex are the most useful and yours looks to be splined or possibly D...I took a close look at your pic but it pixelates and I can't see it clearly enough (second Photo).

The second photo is the H screw and is the one you need to adjust for High speed - turn it anticlockwise.

The first photo, sometimes but not always, there is a plastic or soft rubber tiny bung in the brass bit and if you prize this out, there will be a screw underneath which is actually the top of the barrel needle and you can richen the low speed running by undoing it a little. 

The idle speed may be adjusted if the needle is adjusted but it may be fixed on a low cost machine like this.

Check out the fuel filter and the fuel lines as they may be shot giving you the issues you have and also the internal gauze strainer could also cause similar issues.

I have had machines like this need a slight adjustment but also had the fuel line issues as above on irregular used machines.

Cheers Spud. Appreciated. I will check the fuel filter and then try to get a suitable tool in to adjust that black high screw on the side - anti clockwise to richen. If still prob I'll dismantle the carb & check / clean that gauze filter.

• Like 1

Was asked about a Titan multi tool a couple of years ago by a mate. 

He had had it a couple of years a would not run properly, checked fuel lines filter and plug and found nothing wrong with them. 

Turns out the carb need a re set which is common, without looking it up can't remember which way you have to turn H screw, but you you can get a pair of pointed pliers on it and turn it think I may of ground a bit off pliers to get them in. 

• Like 1

Blimey, that's a new one on me and I have a set of ten different types of adjuster. You may be able to get a bit of plastic tubing on it to turn it out. I once used the insulator off a crimp electrical connector.

The splined adjuster may fit it and that round hole may be just for indication but reckon not.

Other than that, you could cut a slot in it with a dremel diamond cut off disk which may be messy unless you can get it out or you could open that little hole out and use the PAC man adjuster as long as the diameter is correct. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mikerecike said:

Better pic of the H screw. Certainly don't have that screwdriver - (if anyone can identify it)

IMG_20220807_122938.jpg

Personally not seen that one before either, at the point you're at most would bin the machine and buy another which is exactly what 'they' want, all machines need adjusted after a certain amount of use and again they know that.. imo.

From that pic you have several options that come to mind.. perhaps the easiest way to get it out could be to try a pair circlip pliers as the hole is eccentric, or maybe a very small easyout or failing that what about 'very carefully' super gluing a pin / nail in the hole and using a pair of pliers.. anyway once it's out carefully put a slot in it with a dremel or a junior hacksaw blade, good luck.

PS. acetone dissolves CA glue. 👍