Charging Stihl batteries from a vehicle

Doug Tait

3 hours ago, Stere said:
logo.webp?v=1658975403
BLUETTIPOWER.CO.UK

100% modular, accepts up to 4xB300. 2400W Unrivaled Solar Input. 3000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter. 5400W Blazing Input...

Expensive

She who must be obeyed picked up something similar from knives and tools not so long ago. It came with a 100w solar panel which, so far, has been sufficient to run her work laptop and phone all day as well as charge my phone in the evenings. 

We will probably add to the solar capacity for the shorter days ahead. 

Not sure what it cost but it wasn't 1000s because the wfh electricity allowance from her work covered it.

On 07/08/2022 at 03:03, Woodworks said:

Get yourself one of these and you wont need to worry about running the battery down in the truck when charging. Comes with plug in points haha.

Small generator would probably be easier though 

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/

I saw these right after I bought my 2018 F150, 2.7 twin turbo. I put a deposit down the last day of 2019, and signed the papers on the first day of 2020. Essentially it was two model years old. The window sticker was $51,000+, and it was on clearance for $35,000 so I grabbed it. Had 6 miles on it. The power port charges batteries well, and fast. I plugged my small air compressor in and as soon as I hit the on button it tripped the breaker. It shows the “lightning” running a whole house during a power outage. The add says starting at $39,000, but casually looking, I didn’t see any under $50,000.

Guest Gimlet
On 05/08/2022 at 22:07, Doug Tait said:

Only thing is space is a premium in the Ranger, it carries everything including Diesel drums for the machines.

I'm picturing the leisure battery size being much like a small car battery, or could we use something smaller?

I have a Ford Ranger and you can't run a USB or inverter charger through the 12V socket for any length of time without the engine running because after so many minutes the system shuts everything down down to save the vehicle's battery. I can't even charge my phone for more than about 15 minutes unless I run the engine. 

You may get away with connecting the inverter straight onto the battery terminals, I'm not sure. But it wouldn't be ideal. 

Edited by Gimlet

It seems the best option in reality is to have an abundance of batteries charged ready to take out with us, although just took delivery of another 500i this morning so there will be something to turn to if we run out of battery juice.

Thanks to everyone for their input.